• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

can u use a xts5000 on a phase one

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsykes41770

Yes. You will have to get a flash from Motorola that brings it up to the required options to operate on P25 Phase 1. We have done that here on our system.

wsykes41770

Flashes are model and current flashcode specific. You will need to contact your Motorola dealer to obtain a quote. Fair warning, it probably won't be cheap. We had to flash ours at work and it was quite expensive. I don't remember exactly how much. We had an outside agency that is on our system and we had to flash their XTS5000s. They were SmartNet and needed SmartZone instead. As I recall, just that one feature was about $560 each. Their total bill from Motorola was almost $23,000!! You might be better off finding one with the features you need on eBay. It will probably be cheaper.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
You can indeed use an XTS5K on a P25 I system. You need flashes Q806, Q361, and some say you need H38 and Q173 as well. Your Motorola rep can indicate for you.

You also need the permission of the system owner and a valid radio ID from them, of course. If you're just looking to monitor (receive, no transmit), you simply need a P25 compatible scanner, which will be cheaper by at least a factor of 5 if not 10.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
From what I've seen of your questions in this forum, I think you would be wise to follow the advice you gave a fellow member in the Ontario forum:

U can not use a Motorola radio to monitor a trunk system beacouse of affiliate of the radios there is a way but u would have to know what you are doing stick with the scanner invest in a good out door attena and maybe a drop amp

scanningisfun

There is plenty of information on how to do what you want on the internet. But you don't sound very competent.

Jacob

Jay911

Feed Provider
and yes I have the enc key

You have the encryption key but you don't know what radio to use?

If you legitimately have the encryption key, then you're a legitimate user of the system and you already have a radio programmed by the issuing agency. If you have the encryption key but you're not part of the agency, you will be visited by police soon, and the agency will change their encryption key before you are booked into remand.

If you have something else which you think is the encryption key but really isn't, you are in WAY over your head by trying to program up a radio for a system you don't belong on, and you should be using a scanner. If you can't receive the system with a scanner, give up and move on to something else.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
If you legitimately have the encryption key, then you're a legitimate user of the system and you already have a radio programmed by the issuing agency. If you have the encryption key but you're not part of the agency, you will be visited by police soon, and the agency will change their encryption key before you are booked into remand.

System admins just add the rouge ID to the system inhibit list and carry on with the day :) The problem corrects itself in time when the user suddenly owns a brick.

ninfreak

this has got a little off topic no buddy said this was going to be use to monitor an agency i need a radio for testing purpose i have been using a sdr prog and i need a phase 1 radio with the option to decrypt p25 signals and it will be my signal that will be ENC with my key

ninfreak

inhibit can be remove and 2nd if u monitor a trunk system u can do it with out affiliate with system that would meen they would not see the radio but again off topic the ? was is the xts5000 compatable with phase 1

Jay911

Feed Provider
The talk of "talk group" implies a trunk system, and since you have lots of history lamenting the recent encryption of Peel Region Police's new P25 trunk system, it's not a hard leap for people to make to believe you're trying to program up a radio to monitor PRPD. But if you truly are just going to transmit on a conventional simplex channel - no trunk system involved, then:

The XTS5000 radio is compatible with Phase I trunking. However, if you intend to program an encryption key into it, you'll also need a keyloader, which will cost you a minimum of $1000 over and above the radio. The radio will also have to support encryption which is another costly flash (I don't have the flashcode ID handy right now).

In addition, you'll need to be licensed for the frequency you intend to transmit on.

And if you're truly talking about transmitting instead of monitoring PRPD, why did you say "my scanner does not decrypt P25" when it was suggested you use a scanner, instead of saying "I want to transmit, not receive"?

ninfreak

now does the xts5000 come in the 400mhz range and I would not by a radio to decrypt a signal just to listing there is SDR software that can decrypt p25 and its free

Jay911

Feed Provider
The XTS line is no longer available from Motorola. You'd have to buy used.

It comes in VHF (136-174), UHF R1 (380-470), UHF R2 (450-520), and 700/800.

No free software can decrypt anything. Decrypting means taking an encrypted signal (one which is specifically coded to prevent outside listeners) and removing the encryption. A P25 digitally-modulated signal is not encrypted, it's just in a digital modulation. Scanners and SDR software like SDR#, HDSDR, and so on, can demodulate P25. There's no such thing as "decrypting P25".

And as for PRPD's P25 system being Phase II, from the screen shots in the early posts in the "Peel P25 Activity" thread, that's not the case. They have Phase II identifiers programmed, but so does nearly every other Motorola system. Identifier 00 shown in post #30 is for 851.00625, 6.25 spacing, and one slot (meaning Phase I). The frequency lists shown in posts #136 and #145 indicate iden 00 is the only one being used... meaning there's no Phase II currently on the system.

Anyway, to sum up: An XTS5000 will work "on a phase I system" whether it be a trunk system or a conventional frequency (which is, by design, always phase I). You will need to have specific flashcodes in it and they and the radio will cost lots of money. If you want encryption, you have to have the encryption flashcode, which is more money, and the keyloader hardware, which is even more money. And if you want to transmit on UHF you'll need a license (you can't just use FRS or GMRS frequencies).

Status
Not open for further replies.