Can Unidens stay on 24/7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8qln

What's the duty cycle of the Uniden's? Specifically the 996T?

Can I leave it run all night / all day?

Overnight, I scan for seldom used frequencies & log them. I don't know if this hurts the scanner.

kc8qln said:

Overnight, I scan for seldom used frequencies & log them. I don't know if this hurts the scanner.

If they can't stay on 24/7 Im in trouble then. I have run my 2006 almost non stop for the 15+ years I have had it with no problems. When it was about 2 years old the power supply went. (Thank God for the service plan). Have not had any problems since. Have been running my 996 non stop for 4 weeks now with no problems.

LarrySC

The TV Media usees lots of BC-780's 796's and I know for a fact that none of them have been turned off in years and no diplay issues. The 996 should be expected to operate the same.

fineshot1

kc8qln said:

I have had my RS Pro2006 running nonstop for about 10 years now. Never turn it off
and its running off a UPS backup box so if the power goes out its still running.

I say let it run all the time especially if its new so if its gonna die hopefully it will do it
while the warrenty is still in effect.

rbm

Most of my scanners are never turned off.

That includes a BCD396T that I've had for a year. It runs off the AC adapter. It gets turned off only long enough to put batteries in it if I'm taking it with me.

My BCD996T I've had for several months and that is NEVER off. My second BCD396T is getting a break. It's on a long term loan to my brother.

rfaricy

rbm said:

That includes a BCD396T that I've had for a year. It runs off the AC adapter. It gets turned off only long enough to put batteries in it if I'm taking it with me.

My BCD996T I've had for several months and that is NEVER off. My second BCD396T is getting a break. It's on a long term loan to my brother.

In my opinion, it's more damaging to turn something off and on than it is to leave it running. While the scanner doesn't have moving parts like a car, hard drive, fan, etc, there are still quick surges of power to components which were previously off. Always room for error there.

brandon

Database Admin
I have a BC250D that's been on for a year that I use to stream audio.
Only time it's turned off is when the power goes out.

twolf816

other than power outages...my bc80xlt and bc350a has been on nonstop for 2 years...the bct8s finna join em when i get a new antenna and multicoupler...i do keep spare batteries so when the power does go out..i can still monitor

ICP963

Feed Provider
rbm said:
Scanners have an off switch? I thought the only way to turn `em off was to unplug the power cord. :)

I have a ton of scanners and I NEVER turn `em off.

Status
Not open for further replies.