Can WS1088 front be put on PRO-668 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2OVX

I am going to send my pro-668 to be updated to do DMR

Has anyone asked Whistler to put a WS1088 front on their PRO-668 ?

Or has anyone tried swapping out the 668 front with a 1088 front ?

The 668 and WS1080 look identical, but I don't know how they connect and if the firmware and hardware is the same in both models.

Thanks

Bill

kruser

Premium Subscriber
No, the 668 most likely does not have the needed hardware to support a 1088 front panel. Likely missing connectors and of course different firmware with code for the full keypad support would probably be missing.
Maybe Whistler's official legacy upgrade adds the firmware code but I'd think physical connectors would be missing or different.

Changing the 668 front to a PSR800 or WS-1080 front may be possible but you would not gain anything.

Maybe ask them if you call.
It would be interesting to find out they can do what you are asking.

That's the one thing I never liked about my PSR800 was the lack of a full keypad. I swore I'd never buy another scanner without one again and then I ended up with an HP-1! Of course the extra cost Extended upgrade did add that into its touch screen though.

KC2OVX

It looks like the latest firmware version is 4.8
I don't know what the latest DSP version is on the WS1080 and I don't know if the Whistler upgrade to make the Pro-668 into a WS1080 is any different than the 4.6 firmware update that is available on the web that I did to a Pro-668 before that gave me DMR
I don't know if I can update the DSP to the latest version with that update either.
I don't want to spend 80.00 to find out I won't get anything more than what I can do myself for free
I see there is the official 4.6 firmware and the hacked version that you can load into the 668. I will ask Whistler what version Firmware and DSP their paid conversion will give the 668 and if I will be able to flash it with all future updates from that point on. I didn't see anything that said it would add NXDN to it.
The TRX-1 had NXDN with the latest firmware update.
I don't know if they will ever do a Provoice update.
I keep hoping Whistler would come out with a new model as good as the Uniden 536.
That has DMR, Provoice and NXDN, but at 60.00 per upgrade, adding 180.00 to the price.
I was amazed that the 536 actually receives my county's phase 2 digital P25 simulcast X2-TDMA system clearly with a Yagi antenna and some fine running. Something no other scanner to date had been able to do.
I don't know what the difference is between the WS1080 and the TRX-1. If any.
I plan on asking Whistler that.
I will post what I find out.
Thanks
Bill

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
It looks like the latest firmware version is 4.8
I don't know what the latest DSP version is on the WS1080 and I don't know if the Whistler upgrade to make the Pro-668 into a WS1080 is any different than the 4.6 firmware update that is available on the web that I did to a Pro-668 before that gave me DMR
I don't know if I can update the DSP to the latest version with that update either.
I don't want to spend 80.00 to find out I won't get anything more than what I can do myself for free
I see there is the official 4.6 firmware and the hacked version that you can load into the 668. I will ask Whistler what version Firmware and DSP their paid conversion will give the 668 and if I will be able to flash it with all future updates from that point on. I didn't see anything that said it would add NXDN to it.
The TRX-1 had NXDN with the latest firmware update.
I don't know if they will ever do a Provoice update.
I keep hoping Whistler would come out with a new model as good as the Uniden 536.
That has DMR, Provoice and NXDN, but at 60.00 per upgrade, adding 180.00 to the price.
I was amazed that the 536 actually receives my county's phase 2 digital P25 simulcast X2-TDMA system clearly with a Yagi antenna and some fine running. Something no other scanner to date had been able to do.
I don't know what the difference is between the WS1080 and the TRX-1. If any.
I plan on asking Whistler that.
I will post what I find out.
Thanks
Bill
Latest DSP firmware is 3.2, official legacy update allows you to do any ws1080 updates in the future via ezscan for the ws1080. NXDN will never happen. That is why they made the Trx series.

Status
Not open for further replies.