Can Yaesu VX-5R get APCO 25?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlogan109

My local police department just went digital (APCO 25). I bought a new scanner (RS PRO-106) and I'm all up and running. However, there is a developmentally disabled man in my neighborhood who had an analog scanner, and wants to go digital. So, he asked a friend to buy him something on eBay. What his friend bought was a Yaesu VX-5R. Now he has asked me to program it for him. I see in the manual that it covers the target frequency range, but no mention of it being digital or APCO 25 capable. Before I tell him he got the wrong thing, can anyone positively confirm for me that the VX-5R is not APCO 25 capable?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Having had a 5R for a while, I can say the answer is no, it doesn't. And neither can it trunktrack.

That handheld is for hams and covers the 6, 2 and 450 Mhz bands. What you need to look for is a digital trunktracker, the various models of which are found here...

Category:Digital Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

Just click on the blue text and then on the model number you want to view. I would avoid the BC250 and 785 because they don't support an ongoing move of frequencies in the public safety services called rebanding.

HTH...Mike

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
As Mike correctly points out the VX-5R does NOT do P25 nor Trunking.
If it did I would not need to also carry my city issued XTS 5000 with the 5R
when I am out and about :D:cool:

8016608841_a48e52ddc7_z.jpg

A somewhat current digital voice capable scanner is needed.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.