can you modify a Ken TS520 for a frequency counter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joseph2020

I have an aceco F-1002 (1 MHz - 3 GHz) frequency counter with a BNC connector for input. Is there a way to connect this to a Kenwood TS-520 rig and use it as frequency display for the VCO? Thanks in advance.

kermitdafrog

Premium Subscriber
I have an aceco F-1002 (1 MHz - 3 GHz) frequency counter with a BNC connector for input. Is there a way to connect this to a Kenwood TS-520 rig and use it as frequency display for the VCO? Thanks in advance.

Well, nobody jumped on it so I'll give it a try. The brief answer is "no, I don't think so, at least not directly without additional circuitry".

The reason being is that there is no frequency present in the radio that directly represents the frequency that the receiver is receiving, or that the transmitter is set to transmit on. The receive and transmit frequencies are a result of mixing the VFO frequency with another frequency and taking either the sum or difference of them.

You did say "VCO". If by that you meant Voltage Controlled Oscillator, or the frequency of the internal VFO, you probably could, but that wouldn't be the frequency that you would be listening to or transmitting on for the reason I gave above.

Kermit

Last edited:

dwh367

It might be like trying to find a needle in a haystack but Kenwood made a frequency counter for the TS-520. The one I used to have had one.

joseph2020

dwh367, kermitdafrog, thanks for your replies. I am familiar with that device. I believe it plugs right into the 520(s), but for the regular 520, you need an additional kit to make it work. So, aside form the fact that the original freq counter is very hard to find, it is also very expensive as you have to buy the counter AND the interface kit.

There is another counter that is available on the web, but it runs about $150, plus you still need the interface kit (more $$. This is not an option for me (too much money just for convenience). I guess I will get used to adding up all the dials and come up with the operating frequency that way. Thanks again.

kermitdafrog

Premium Subscriber
"Adding the dials" sounds a lot more cumbersome than it is.

Sorta like the difference between a car with an automatic transmission (which you might call "point and pray") and a car with stick shift (which you might call "skill development, or actually driving") :) Come to think of it, analog watches still work pretty well too.

At any rate, just like the car and watch, after you use it a while you won't even think about it. I think you'll enjoy it.

Kermit

craig1521

if you haven't found anything try this web sight espelectronics.com he sells the thats work on the ts 520
I have one works great

craig

Status
Not open for further replies.