• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can you switch a XTL 2500 with a M5 head to a O5 head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone,

I have a XTL2500 (remote) installed in my vehicle. It has the standard M5 head, and I have 5000 (also remote) in UHF I am preparing to install as well, it light grey O5 head.

I am looking at purchasing a O5 head (with the CHIB) to use on the 2500 in an effort to match the O5 head on the 5000. I’ve always liked the look of the O5 heads.

So my question is; Is this possible? I have a O5 head with the CHIB installed from another radio. Is it as simple as just swapping it out?

Cowley639

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you’ve attempted this.

Was yours a dash or remote?

Trying to make this as simple as possible.

K2NEC

Haha I actually haven't attempted it. I wanted to buy an XTL2500 when I made that post but something came up and I never got the funds so I never bought one. I'm still looking to buy one but not willing to spend more than like $250 for one.

com501

Just make the 2500 into a 5000 and then you can use the 5000 head. Probably easier than taking the heads apart and fiddling with the rubber pads.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Yes and no. The M5 and O5 use the same circuit board. There is a carbon pad on the button membrane of the head which tells the radio if it's an O5 head or a M5 head depending on which contacts are jumped by the carbon pad.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Easy to convert, you can even convert an M5 for XTL5000. Just pull the rubber button strip out, cut the sensor piece, drop the button strip back in, drop the sensor piece in backawards, drop the circuit board back on, conversion completed. To convert back, just let the piece you cut drop out, flip, reinsert, bolt back together. Takes about 5 minutes to do the conversion with a simple torx screwdriver and pair os scissors.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.