• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can you tell what a radio's band split it by model #?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Found an Astro Saber III on ebay and its being sold as is without a battery and antenna.

Is there a way to find out what the band split is by model number?

H04UCH9PW7AN

gary123

I hope this helps for future referance.

H = Type of Radio (mobile, portable etc)
04 = Model Family
U = Frequancy Range
C = Output Power
H = Radio Feature Set (keyboard, full keyboard etc)
9 = Channel Step Size ( 5 khz, 12.5khz etc)
P = Operation Modes (rx only, tx only, rptr etc)
W = System Type (conv, PP, smartnet etc)
A = General Version (basic production or major modification)
N = Specific Version (used if unique feature required by end user)

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
I hope this helps for future referance.

H = Type of Radio (mobile, portable etc)
04 = Model Family
U = Frequancy Range
C = Output Power
H = Radio Feature Set (keyboard, full keyboard etc)
9 = Channel Step Size ( 5 khz, 12.5khz etc)
P = Operation Modes (rx only, tx only, rptr etc)
W = System Type (conv, PP, smartnet etc)
A = General Version (basic production or major modification)
N = Specific Version (used if unique feature required by end user)

Thats a big help

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You'd substitue in the place of the "U" when looking at other bands on Astro Sabers only.

K = VHF - 136-174

R = UHF - 403-470

S = UHF - 450-520

The Astro Spectra is a lot different as there are 2 VHF splits and 4 for UHF.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
While this is up, any other way to tell what the radio specs are without reading it if there is a way to look it up through motorola? board information, memory, etc? if not ill just have to wait until next month to read my astro's specs, trying to see if i can add 8 more zones, redo the codeplug, I think im an idiot to have each zone have MURS on the first five, guess ill use the prefix Z1+ and so on so i know which zone im in.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Model II and III Astro Sabers can have up to 255 channels. Typically, that would be 16 zones with 16 channels each. Not sure what happens to the 256th channel, but I assume the radio just runs out of room. You can label the zones whatever you want and specify the length of the name, but the longer the zone name, the shorter the channel name becomes.

You can hit the side button (one of the bottom buttons) 5 times right after the radio finishes POST. A good bit of info can be had by doing this. It will display the model number, the Flashcode, serial number, tell you whether the radio is 1MEG or 512K and tell you what encryption module is installed if it has one.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Model II and III Astro Sabers can have up to 255 channels. Typically, that would be 16 zones with 16 channels each. Not sure what happens to the 256th channel, but I assume the radio just runs out of room. You can label the zones whatever you want and specify the length of the name, but the longer the zone name, the shorter the channel name becomes.

You can hit the side button (one of the bottom buttons) 5 times right after the radio finishes POST. A good bit of info can be had by doing this. It will display the model number, the Flashcode, serial number, tell you whether the radio is 1MEG or 512K and tell you what encryption module is installed if it has one.

Got it, wish it would slow down so i can write some of it down, tells me R03.10.06 & DSP I104.03.10 and no encryption module is installed, S/N and Model thats about it, sweet :D thanks, now i can always check it out and see whats on the system... every once in a while

W2NJS

Until the digital-capable radios (XTS mainly) came along you could NOT tell a portable's bandsplit from the model code but rather had to read the radio with software to dig out this detail. This applies in particular to the standard and Securenet Saber radios. It's also possible to dig into a Saber's innards and read various module model numbers but most people don't want to do that as it's so much trouble.

Tom, W2NJS
Washington DC

Status
Not open for further replies.