Can You Update the SDS200 SD Card outside of the Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
Most likely in the next couple of weeks, I plan on taking the plunge and spend my hard earn $700.00 dollars, and purchase a SDS200. If it has a hum, I have no problem fixing it. My problem is, I live out in the country and I’m stuck with Hughesnet. I have download Sentinel and get the timeout error, as others have stated that there is a problem with a timeout error. So my question is, can I take my laptop with my card reader downtown and update the database, and the firmware to the SD Card then put card back into scanner. I did see a video on the internet with someone doing it on a HomePatrol scanner, but I need confirmation doing it with the SDS200.

Thank-you
N9PVW

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Yes you can. You may need to check a box that says something like Display all drives before the SD card shows up though.
I do not need to check that box on my main computer but on a laptop I did as Sentinel would not see the card.

Also, If your SDS200 firmware is not the latest, there is a site somewhere that has all the FW files released for the SDS models. You would simply copy them onto the SD card in the 'Firmware' sub-folder. When you stick the card back into your SDS and power it on, it will see the FW files and apply them.
I don't have the link handy for the FW site so hopefully someone else will supply it.
The site is a Google drive and has firmwares for all Uniden models that are capable of FW updates.
Yours will likely come with the latest FW though being a new purchase.

Hit_Factor

Be careful, the SD card reader built into the scanner is fragile. More force is never the answer when swapping in and out cards.

The scanner is simply a very expensive card reader when in mass storage mode. Take it with you when you use some other internet connection.

Sentinel has a firmware update option, you don't need links if your internet connection issues are resolved.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Be careful, the SD card reader built into the scanner is fragile. More force is never the answer when swapping in and out cards.
Try pushing it in and out with the tip of a pen. I usually don't have long enough fingernails to do it any other way.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Sentinel has a firmware update option, you don't need links if your internet connection issues are resolved.
Has anyone ever successfully fixed the timing issues for FTP transfers when they are using a satellite based service provider?
I know this is a common problem for those using sat based service providers but I don't think I've ever seen anyone come up with a solution short of taking the scanner to an area where they can connect to a normal ISP.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone ever successfully fixed the timing issues for FTP transfers when they are using a satellite based service provider?
I know this is a common problem for those using sat based service providers but I don't think I've ever seen anyone come up with a solution short of taking the scanner to an area where they can connect to a normal ISP.
Way back when the HP-1 was first released, there was a discussion about that and some possible solutions offered that might help with the poor FTP performance inherent with satellite based ISP. I don't think they had much success and I don't know if those "Turbo" options are even still being used:

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
Thank-you all for you quick replays. I will let you know when I receive the SDS200

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

The scanner is simply a very expensive card reader when in mass storage mode. Take it with you when you use some other internet connection.

The fragile, and sometimes frustrating, card holder on the portable models such as the SDS100 & BCD436HP, can be a problem. Especially if you can't seem 'to hold your mouth just right' when trying to reinsert a card.

However, the base/mobile scanners such as the SDS200 & BCD536HP have a fairly standard card holer, similar to what's found on any number of other devices such as tablets, digital cameras, and cell phones. In most cases, mass storage mode works without an issue. But if you need to re-format a card, or set up a new one, that can be done more easily and quickly in an external card reader.

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
The fragile, and sometimes frustrating, card holder on the portable models such as the SDS100 & BCD436HP, can be a problem. Especially if you can't seem 'to hold your mouth just right' when trying to reinsert a card.

However, the base/mobile scanners such as the SDS200 & BCD536HP have a fairly standard card holer, similar to what's found on any number of other devices such as tablets, digital cameras, and cell phones. In most cases, mass storage mode works without an issue. But if you need to re-format a card, or set up a new one, that can be done more easily and quickly in an external card reader.
I do have a EXTERNAL SD Card reader. Thanks for your input sir

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you take an SD card from a scanner and put it in a card reader (external or internal) for a computer, then start Sentinel, Sentinel "thinks" your card reader is your scanner. You can do any updates you want to full database, Favorites Lists and update the firmware. Once done, unmount the SD card and return it to your scanner.

If you update the firmware, when you return the SD card to the scanner, watch the scanner as you power it back up. You will see messages about updating the firmware. Pretty simple - leave the scanner along while it does the update and do not power it down while doing so.

Lastly, you might want to pick up a spare SD card, preferably a high endurance one, just to have a spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.