Canada Day Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexTAC

Premium Subscriber
Apparently there is a Canada Day contest going on and I’ve been reaching Canada from Texas with 100W using a Yaesu 991A and a temporary OCF dipole hung about 25 feet up in an inverted vee. Maybe not a big deal for some, but I am new to this and making contact to our friends to the north 2000 miles away was a big thrill for me! Anyone else participating?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Happy Canada Day!

While 2000 miles isn't much for HF, like you said, it's new for you, and you will definitely have the HF bug now. Wait till you start reeling in the 6000 mile contacts, or the 10k to Africa. Amazing what you can do with 100w and a wire. Never gets old.

TexTAC

Premium Subscriber
I made my first HF contacts over the weekend and they were all within the US. About 6-7 states across 40M, 20M, and 10M. I thought that was great, but making it to a different country tonight multiple times topped that. I’m thinking I may need to align my antenna more north and south to get across the ocean(s). Really a whole lot of fun!

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Yep! It never gets old. HF is SO much fun!! You picked a good time to get into it too, with the solar cycle peak coming in the next few years. You'll be talking all over the world soon enough.

TexTAC

Premium Subscriber
Just made my first international contact (other than Canada). Reached Nicaragua tonight on 40 meters. This is a lot of fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.