Canadian Armed Forces Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliverClothesoff

Premium Subscriber
I have one STX-5000 dedicated to CFB Borden very near to Barrie Ontario. These 12 channels arefor the most part very quiet.
At 4:46 this morning, at the same time another one of my STX’s that has one Federal frequency on it that is rarely active, started babbling on with the Simcoe County Emergency Management, South Simcoe Police, Innisfil Fire, Barrie Police, Barrie Fire, CFB Borden Fire, & some other agencies which I could not decipher.
I’m thinking RCMP but not positive because that would mean the RCMP are now carrying 2 onboard radios instead of one or they have a new experimental unit that I’ve never heard of that does both A25 VHF and A25 UHF at the same time.
This was on none other than an oddball frequency that is usually reserved for the Armed Forces P2P on the road.

149.68000 , this is very odd and unheard of in 40 years, of being a RadioMan, I have never heard such a thing. The chatter went on between the different organizations until 7:12 AM. This also makes it probable and logical that they can all communicate at the interprovincial level at provincial borders etc.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Years ago I caught that frequency being used by MSE at Borden for Driver Training when off base. CTCSS was 67.0hz.

SKaiserling

Just for my own information, what were they talking about? I know Barrie Fire and Orillia check up every week on the mutual aid freq but I've never heard EMO talking. I don't receive Borden from where I am, because I'm by the Georgian Mall and there's too much sh** in the way.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
They've made radios that can do VHF and UHF P25 for probably a decade now (probably more?).

That frequency is listed as Base Borden Fire - in a very old scanner directory.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm guessing this was a training exercise involving just military personnel. Possibly in conjunction with the troops from Toronto being deployed to Borden.

Innisfil Fire, South Simcoe PD and the County Emergency Management Department don't have P25 capabilities. I've asked around and my sources indicate most of the agencies mentioned didn't participate in anything like this last night.

It's a great catch though. I took this opportunity to make sure I'm scanning my conventional Borden channels in digital now.

Status
Not open for further replies.