Canadian needs some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadWarrior

Hello Scanner Experts, my very first post...
I'm very interested in this BCD996T, also I drive a lot in the States... is there a place, website, where I can find out ham/radio stores that sell scanners IN-STORE, their addresses, phone numbers, web site maybe? Not interested in on-line shopping, I live in Ontario and for travelling to US and comming back to Canada I have a $700 duty-free exemption/person (for longer than 7 days trips) plus these things are very expensive up here, the BCD396T sells for about US$700 and up... so if somebody have some ideas about stores that sell on the spot scanners, please let me know about their location... thank you very much and keep up the good work, great web site, fantastic people, extremely helpful advices as I've done a LOT of reading about this brand-new GPS-enabled digital/analog scanner... I already have a Motorola i730 that is cellular, two-way radio, GPS receiver, etc., so it will work perfectly with this particular scanner (with a serial data cable)...

Happy Memorial Day everybody!

Chris
Toronto, Canada

Last edited:

racin06

RoadWarrior said:
Hello Scanner Experts, my very first post...
I'm very interested in this BCD996T, also I drive a lot in the States... is there a place, website, where I can find out ham/radio stores that sell scanners IN-STORE, their addresses, phone numbers, web site maybe? Not interested in on-line shopping, I live in Ontario and for travelling to US and comming back to Canada I have a $700 duty-free exemption/person (for longer than 7 days trips) plus these things are very expensive up here, the BCD396T sells for about US$700 and up... so if somebody have some ideas about stores that sell on the spot scanners, please let me know about their location... thank you very much and keep up the good work, great web site, fantastic people, extremely helpful advices as I've done a LOT of reading about this brand-new GPS-enabled digital/analog scanner... I already have a Motorola i730 that is cellular, two-way radio, GPS receiver, etc., so it will work perfectly with this particular scanner (with a serial data cable)...

I'm not sure where you travel in the U.S., but I know that Universal Radio, Inc. in Reynoldsburg, Ohio (Columbus Metro Area) is a storefront (and online, as well) radio dealer. I haven't been to their store; however, I have made several online purchases from their web site with very good customer service.

http://www.universal-radio.com/urinfo.html

Another storefront dealer is The Ham Station in Evansville, Indiana

http://hamstation.com/

I'm sure there are others that are closer to where you live in Ontario. I would think that after 67 views of this thread, others would have tried to help you, also. Come on people, help out a good neighbor to the north!

Last edited:

RoadWarrior

racin06 said:
I'm not sure where you travel in the U.S., but I know that Universal Radio, Inc. in Reynoldsburg, Ohio (Columbus Metro Area) is a storefront (and online, as well) radio dealer. I haven't been to their store; however, I have made several online purchases from their web site with very good customer service.

http://www.universal-radio.com/urinfo.html

Another storefront dealer is The Ham Station in Evansville, Indiana

http://hamstation.com/

I'm sure there are others that are closer to where you live in Ontario. I would think that after 67 views of this thread, others would have tried to help you, also. Come on people, help out a good neighbor to the north!

Great info, racin06, thank you very, very much!!! In about a month I will head down to Texas, you know, Peace Bridge (Fort Erie/Buffalo), I-90 to Cleveland and then south, different ways to get to Texas, vacation is just for fun and relaxing time so ain't matter what roads I really use for 2-3 weeks... from south Texas head to New Orleans but this time just for the Mississippi Delta (visited the beautiful city in the summer of '04) and then back north, so lots of places I might stop for stores that sell scanners... but those two you just gave me are GREAT, if they have the 996T in store I'' just buy it, if not... what can we do... I just updated with the latest software version my Motorola i730 which is also a GPS receiver itself, I got a serial data cable for this phone to be connected to the scanner, all I need is just to find it somewhere... in Ontario, Toronto area, I have only 3 stores that sell CB/Scanner stuff, all is about $200-$250 more expensive than anywhere in the States plus any new-released device shows up here after 3-6 months, maybe even longer... and buying it from the States it's with no Canadian tax at all... Delaware is the best place for shopping if you're in the area (I've been there 4-5 times spending at least $1,000), but Indiana is very good (6% tax) compared with 15% tax in Ontario... and the C$ is now 91% of the US$, almost at par if you buy from the States...
Yeah, I drive a lot in the States, proudly been in 45 states so far...
In Canada, scanners are regulated by Industry Canada and there is nothing illegal to drive with one in your car...
If somebody else have more addresses for other stores that sell scanners, I TIA for posting them... thank you all very much

Last edited:

chewie327

If you travel to New York State frequently you might want to try Scannerworld in Albany NY. 5 minutes from the junction of I-87 & I-90. I bought my 396 at their shop and was very satisfied. They also have a nice display of vintage scanners. Their web site: http://www.scannerworld.com lists a 996 for 524.99 in stock.

Scanner World USA 17 Interstate Ave Albany NY 12205 (518) 436-9606

P.S. I am not affiliated with them in any way.

Last edited:

MetalCarnage

Does anyone know of anywhere close to Buffalo to buy one? I am going to be in Buffalo in June and wouldnt mind picking one up while i am down there

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
MetalCarnage said:
Does anyone know of anywhere close to Buffalo to buy one? I am going to be in Buffalo in June and wouldnt mind picking one up while i am down there

Phone these guys in Williamsville (just out of Buffalo) and see if they can order one in for you to pick up
1- 800- 888- 8797 (Hirsch's Radiomart)

RoadWarrior

chewie327 said:
If you travel to New York State frequently you might want to try Scannerworld in Albany NY. 5 minutes from the junction of I-87 & I-90. I bought my 396 at their shop and was very satisfied. They also have a nice display of vintage scanners. Their web site: http://www.scannerworld.com lists a 996 for 524.99 in stock.

Scanner World USA 17 Interstate Ave Albany NY 12205 (518) 436-9606

P.S. I am not affiliated with them in any way.

Thank you very much for the info, I've read about them, they have a pretty good website, but unfortunately I don't go in that direction at all, I mostly go south like this time to Texas, lots of states to drive thru but I don't know ALL places where I can try to see if they have this 996T in the store...

MetalCarnage

mciupa said:
Phone these guys in Williamsville (just out of Buffalo) and see if they can order one in for you to pick up
1- 800- 888- 8797 (Hirsch's Radiomart)

Do stores in the states not usually carry stuff in stock? I seem to notice that you guys have to order stuff alot and dont seem to be able to jsut walk into a store and buy it?

RoadWarrior

MetalCarnage said:
Do stores in the states not usually carry stuff in stock? I seem to notice that you guys have to order stuff alot and dont seem to be able to jsut walk into a store and buy it?

That's a mystery for me as well!!! for instance why this very popular and prety large USASCAN, located in Ann Arbor, MI has no walk-in store besides on-line shopping??? Or why just small stores sell scanners, no Best Buy, Circuit City, Future Shop in Canada, etc., have such thing in stock??? Or why these little stores, ham/radio stores are not in large cities where most of the people in fact live???
Chris in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.