Canadian Niagara Power (Tech Work)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATCTech

As DSD+ sees it that's a TIII system, not Connect+ as listed in the DB here. It's not the right time to confirm any of them but there are a bunch of VHF frequencies on the TAFL which might be part of this multi-site system too.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
My sds100 scanner shows TIII system also. I can tell you we've had two really bad storm systems come through this area and I never heard anything on this system my power went off for 10 hours and the second time for almost 2 hours I thought I would have heard a lot of traffic but nothing now I hear them working on the radio system interesting.

ATCTech

Thanks Steve! I'll watch it during the day on Monday and sit on 4 or 5 frequencies at once with multiple radios to see where there's activity. Is this your local hydro provider in Fort Erie?

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Steve! I'll watch it during the day on Monday and sit on 4 or 5 frequencies at once with multiple radios to see where there's activity. Is this your local hydro provider in Fort Erie?
Yes Canadian Niagara Power is are local hydro provider in Fort Erie, I have been wondering why I have not heard anything on this system since I submitted the one control TG. I used to hear them all the time when they had a analog frequency. I'll let my scanner run all night tonight we have another storm coming in around 4 AM lasting to around 6 PM so there might be some traffic on this system, expectimg some ice, rain and snow.
Steve

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I see TG-10 is up and running I have my scanner recording, I'll check the audio files and see what information I have.
Steve

ATCTech

They aren't exactly "chatty". My local power utility is the same, very little radio traffic unless dealing with outages.

ATCTech

I'm seeing (and DSD+ is plotting) LRRP position data for two units just west of Fort Erie. The data is appearing on the 159.975 frequency. One is in Ridgeway, the other in Crystal Beach.

ATCTech

I haven't heard a peep since those brief transmissions on TG10 this morning. Watching 4 freqs at time here.

mciupa

What are the LCN/LSN's? Those are important to those people using Uniden scanners. I can add them to the database.

ATCTech

Don't know yet Mike, this thing is so quiet that the only transmissions have been on the one frequency and being TIII it take a bit if a pattern to establish things. It appears to be a 2 site system, the second site perhaps in Port Colborne based on TAFL data. The CC on 169.965 appears to be freq. 1 so the #1st LCN. All DSD+ has shown me so far is "4, 5, 6, ?" for channel assignments, and no numeric data that would normally accompany a TIII system. Since the only other traffic (voice & LRRP) has been on 159.975 I'm assuming that would be the 2nd frequency, but that's purely speculative. so I'm calling it "A" second frequency vs. "THE" second. I've also monitored 169.590 (licensed to the same user) and it shows as a DMR BS, with data every few seconds but no evidence of voice traffic or multiple channels. Other licensed freqs per TAFL 168.435, 164.415 and 140.385 are silent from my QTH.

Bob

Last edited:

Saint

Premium Subscriber
This is Audio I captured on TG-10 this morning the name of the file is new.zip

Steve

Attachments

• NewZip.zip
    377.1 KB · Views: 20

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I ran DSD+ on the Canadian Niagara Power System but never picked up any Audio from anyone, it was sitting on 169.695 mhz
Don't know if any of this information in these files will help but this is what I have.
Steve

Attachments

• dsd+.zip
    44 KB · Views: 6

ATCTech

Steve, run DSD+ on the other frequency you submitted and you'll see the LRRP data etc. if there was any today. I moved back over to Metrolinx and FleetConnect today so I'm not watching NCP.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Yes I have been seeing the LRRP DATA coming up in the event log, also I have noticed that when scanning the system on my SDS100 Scanner it's not stuck on Slot 1 it's going back and fourth between slot1 and slot 2. I picked up at 1:02 pm the linemen on TG-10 for about 30 seconds asking to re-energize a line and that was it. I wish they would get busier so I can run LCN analyzer on the two frequencies, don't want to tie up my scanner when there is so little traffic. Maybe I 'll let Analyzer run when I'm sleeping and see if I can confirm the LCN'S.
Steve

ATCTech

My guess is the two frequencies are 2nd and 3rd of however many there are. Just a hunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.