Canadian Snow Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbounce

Just wanted to post some confirmed frequencies I heard at the St Thomas Onr Canada airshow for the 19,20, and 21 Jun 09. Some freq. were used other military planes.
The following freq. are from the St Thomas Ont Canada airshow that ran from the 19, 20, and 21 June 09.

116.0 used extensively by the Canadian Snow Birds. when regrouping with the main body of planes, they used this frequency.

272.1 used by the Snow Birds on the way to the airshow and used during their practice session.

242.6 used by Snow Birds when performing.

122.250 used by all aircraft at the show, very busy.

122.7 St Thomas main airport freq.

Other freq used by can identify who used them other than the planes must have been at the air show.

323.3 used by Toronto Maple ( not familiar with the name but it involved about three F18's.

333.3 also used by T.M. this is also a freq, that I have listened to over the last year, it seems to be quite active.

225.7 was used to hand off the Snow Birds from 135.62 ( Toronto Center )

294.5 Hawk11 was handed off to this freq. by another Toronto Center Freq. 135.3

ATCTech

236.6 would be London tower and 266.3 is the UHF side of the 135.3 PAL for Toronto Centre at London.

Last edited:

dono410

just back from the airshow here, and wanted to comment on the outstanding performance by the snowbirds. it's been a few years since they've made it here but...they truly were the highlight of the show. i like speed, and noise, but the snowbirds reminded everyone just how beautiful and graceful precision flying can be!

Very, very impressive ambassadors for Canada!!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'
they truly were the highlight of the show. i like speed, and noise, but the snowbirds reminded everyone just how beautiful and graceful precision flying can be!

Very, very impressive ambassadors for Canada!!

A long time ago i got to watch the Snowbirds, US Thunderbirds and the Russian Knights fly at the abbotsford airshow in BC, the snowbirds were the most graceful team.

I love the skill that the snowbirds have, the show that they put on.

IMO the Snowbirds are some of the best pilots anywhere, the tutors have no 'fly by wire' and it truly shows the raw skill of the pilots of the Canadian airforce.

CalebATC

Interesting that they used the VOR range for comms. Can't wait to see the Snowbirds in October. Really looking forward to seeing them.

I heard some where they were using GMRS frequencies... guess not anymore.

jasoyeom

Premium Subscriber
The Snowbirds are in Tillsonburg this weekend and I can confirm that they use 272.1 for the show and 116.000 for when not in show mode.

Muffin

The Snowbirds used to be on 245.750 until the end of the 2009 Airshow season. Since that time they have consistently used 272.1 (group flight) and 116.0 (solos) for shows throughout British Columbia including: Abbotsford Airshow, Penticton Airshow, Vancouver English Bay Show, Wings Over White Rock (Fly for C.H.I.L.D.) to name a few. Starting this Friday they begin their 2015 practice sessions in Comox, B.C. and will be in the air for two weeks. I will be there the weekend of the 17th-19th with radio monitoring equipment in hand to watch my beloved Canadian Snowbirds grace the skies of the Comox Valley. Should I find that they utilize any other frequencies I will be more than happy to post them here upon my return.

Snowbirds check-in: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8....Big Diamond Go! Smoke On - Now!

Can't Wait!!!!! :)

Muffin

Just got back from Comox (19 Wing) and watched the Snowbirds in their pre-season practice. Looks like this year's show will have a couple of different displays coupled with the regular ones. Also had the opportunity to watch the CF18s go up as well (Hornet 1 and Hornet 2). The Snowbirds were utilizing the primary 272.1MHz (AM) for the main grouping and the solo planes were on their 116.0 MHz and we're heard discussing and debriefing about their maneuvers. The CF18s were heard talking to the tower on the VHF tower frequency and then communicated briefly during their demonstration to each other on 333.3 MHz (AM). I have heard them on this frequency out at Abbotsford several times also. Comox was an awesome location to see the show from the "Restricted Access" Airport Beach patrolled routinely by the Military Police who are in plain voice on 149.650 MHz. Looking forward to this year's airshow season and the addition of the Breitling Jets at this year's Abbotsford Airshow.

Cheers!

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
I watched 2 of the snowbirds land at ACY this morning and taxi over to the FBO while I was working on the airfield. They used Snowbird 11 Flight as their call sign.

Muffin

Was out at CYXX today for the airshow and managed to once again monitor the Canadian Snowbirds, the CF18 Hornets and the F22 Raptor!!! The only disappointment on the day was not being able to locate the comms for the Breitling Jet Team (discreet maybe?)

Does anybody know what they are using here in Canada? Would love to be able to monitor their comms tomorrow as its the last day they will be here.

Myles

Also found them (Breitling Jet Team) in Houston today on 136.950 MHz. BTW, think they are from France. But yes, they were speaking French. Oui oui.

Muffin

Thanks! I will add the 136.950 MHz frequency to the list of Airshow freqs to scan should they be in the lineup again :)

Muffin

jasoyeom

Premium Subscriber
London AIr Show Sept 16-18

I'm about an hour SE of London and I'm able to pick up the Snowbirds (I presume as they are on the schedule) on 272.1 with a fairly good signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.