Canadian Weather Broadcasts

Firepiper1

All,
I programmed a Uniden 36HP scanner for a friend of mine who lives in Lorain County. He monitors fire frequencies on Ohio Marcs, GCRCN and the L3 Harris systems and said that he has been picking up a Canadian version of NOAA Weather Radio on occasion. Has anyone else in northern Ohio experienced that?

kd1sq

Database Admin
I live within a couple of hundred yards from the border. The Great White North uses the same frequencies that NOAA does. If it's showing up on other than those frequencies then it's either an image or possibly someone retransmitting it for some purpose.

You might see if it's being sent both in English and Canadian French, also for the ID giving callsign and locxation they send. That at least will give him a clue where the transmission originated from.

Last edited:

kb8vkg

Premium Subscriber
He might be picking up the Canadian Coast Guard continuous Marine Radio Stations out of their Sarnia Office.

It's a continuous loop of interesting information about Lake Erie, Lake St. Clair, Detroit River and the St. Clair River.

They transmit on CH 21B (161.65mhz) from Port Burwell and on CH 83B (161.775mhz) from Leamington. I've monitored them in the past from Geauga County.

tazz

I have picked up the Canadian Coast Guard marine weather radio broadcasts on 161.775 MHz before from my location in SE Ohio (Jackson County) last summer during a very good tropo skip band opening.