Cannot get audio from scanner to computer

Hello! I have the Uniden SDS-100E scanner, I use it with ProScan. I want to send audio stream from a scanner to the computer and record in ProScan. I bought for this 3,5 mm Jack audio cable. But my when I plug this cable to the computer, it shows that I plug headphones. I use a laptop Asus X415J with combo audio input-output, with Windows 11. Can anybody please help me?

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
I understand, but my laptop has one common jack for microphone and earphones.
You need a cable that likely does not exist. The audio from the scanner jack needs to be routed to the microphone conductor on a four wire/conductor plug the fits your laptop headphone/microphone combo jack. Any commercially produced cable will not work even if it has four conductors in the cable and tip with three rings on the plug.

A custom cable is required, if some company makes what you need I would be very surprised.

Reactions: wtp

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hello! I have the Uniden SDS-100E scanner, I use it with ProScan. I want to send audio stream from a scanner to the computer and record in ProScan. I bought for this 3,5 mm Jack audio cable. But my when I plug this cable to the computer, it shows that I plug headphones. I use a laptop Asus X415J with combo audio input-output, with Windows 11. Can anybody please help me?
I would check the Windows Microphone privacy settings and set it to allow apps to access the microphone.
Also in the Windows Mixer, see if the Microphone is an option and if it is, enable it and see if it shows plugged in.

Reactions: wtp

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
51p5gyJgVpL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
61qYWJ-SI+L._AC_SL1456_.jpg

Examine the plug in the picture on the left above, now examine the plug in the picture on the right above. The one on the left only has three conductors (Left audio, Right audio and ground) as this is a classic headphone configuration. The one on the right has four conductors (Left audio, Right audio, Microphone and Ground) which accommodates the addition of a microphone. When a three-conductor plug is inserted into a four-conductor jack on the laptop, the laptop senses there are only three conductors and Windows configures the jack as a stereo output without microphone input support. With four conductors the jack is configured as a headphone/microphone combo jack.

If he had a sound card with separate audio out and microphone input jacks, he could possibly plug one end of the cable into the scanner headphone jack and the other end into the microphone input jack of the sound card. This of course ignores any impedance mismatch between the scanner and the sound card. Not to mention any possible ground loop issues.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
You can use an adapter for plugging the audio into a USB port. My laptop would not work either, so I purchased a USB audio adapter and that worked for me.