BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Cannot get the rear serial port to communicate

Status
Not open for further replies.

hd625b

Premium Subscriber
I have the BCD996XT and cannot get the rear serial port to communicate with FreeScan. I configured the front and rear serial ports in the scanner at 115200 bps. The front port works fine but the rear port fails. I'm using the Belkin F5U409 USB/Serial adapter and a Windows 7 64 bit driver. I'm at a loss as to why the front port works fine but the rear port does not.
Thanks.
MtL

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 418

JamesO

You may also have to go into the Control Panel/Device Manager in the computer and set the Serial Port interface speed as well in FreeScan.

When you use a USB to Serial adapter, there may be many layers of settings that need to be tweaked.

hd625b

Premium Subscriber
The only change I made in device manager was to set the baud rate to 115200 bps.
Thanks.
MtL

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Serial adapter

You do not need a null modem.

I have the same Belkin adapter. The problem is that Belkin did not write 64 bit drivers for this device. They apparently thought you should just buy a new one. I did a search on the internet an found that someone had posted a solution. It seems that there was another USB to serial adapter that used the same chip set as Belkin and sure enough their driver works with the Belkin. Do a Google search for "Belkin F5U409 driver download windows 7." The link I found was called "Solution: Belkin F5U409 USB to serial converter..."

Follow the instructions and it works. I use mine with my 396T all the time.

Alternate solution - buy a USB cable from Uniden. I have one, but it's so much more fun to make old stuff work again.

oracavon

Yeah, the drivers aren't going to know the difference between the front port and the rear port. If they work on one, they're good for both. If the port is enabled at the right baud rate, and the connections/cables are good, the null modem option is the next thing to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.