Cannot Hear Airport Traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyEmsGuy

I am using the PSR500 updated to the latest firmware. I have never been able to hear traffic at Indy Intl airport or any other airport for that matter even if I am sitting at the airport itself. All I get is some static but cannot hear any voice. I would think if I am at the airport I can at least hear the tower clear. This happens at any airport I am at. I am using the Radio Shack 800mhz antenna. Anyone have this same problem or know how to fix it? Thanks!!!

N9WP

I am not familiar with the PSR500 but the Radio Shack 800mhz isn't the antenna to use for air traffic. They are located a lot lower in frequency, like 122 mhz. The stock duckie should work if your at the airport. I also have never tried the scanner at the airport, maybe someone else will jump in and offer a better suggestion.

IndyEmsGuy

I did have some of them set to FM so I will try setting them to AM and will try the stock antenna too and see what happens. Does anyone pick up airport traffic clearly.

Viper43

The latter would be the first thing I'd check, another would be overload, try attenuating the signal and see what happens. I have used several different scanners at airports with the RS800mhz antenna with no problems, even at home on Indys Eastside I can pick up the tower no problem on any of my HH's, or right at the airport.

bessiedawg

I am about 50 miles south of Indy and have just purchased a PSR-500. Funny you should ask, because I was jsut playing with the aircraft band for the first time about an hour ago.

I previously had a Pro-96. While I am too far away to hear airport traffic, the Pro-96 did a reasonable job in picking up aircraft over my area. I tried using both the 800 antenna, as well as the stock. The stock did a little better job, but the 800 was ok too.

I tried aircraft on the PSR-500 with the stock antenna, and I noticed that the reception is noticeably weaker. I am not especailly surprised, as I have noticed that the more high end these units are, the more compromised the aircraft band is. I think we have to keep in mond that they simply are not designed for aircraft. However just on first pass, the Pro-96 seems to do much better on aircraft as compared to PSR-500..

ind224

airport testing

I like to use the ATIS as a beacon/ propagation/antenna check. Much lower power than the planes and controllers.
International 134.250 AM
Eagle Creek 121.575 AM
Downtown Heliport 118.250 AM (tough even on my discone/ LMR 400 @ St Fairgrounds

2045 is one of the best I have ever used for air including mil and the win96 extended 96 is much better in the mil 200-400 than regular VHF 118-136 regardless of the antenna. Super deaf even at the airport and very sensitive to physical orientation.

Last edited:

W9NES

If you are monitoring air traffic you need to have it set in the am mode for the 118-135Mhz aircraft band.Airport Police and Fire on are MECA system 1 on the 800Mhz trunking system

Status
Not open for further replies.