Cannot install DMR Decode Build 73 on Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

Two years ago I successfully installed DMR Decode Build 43 on my Win 7 desktop. At that time I downloaded the DMR Decode software from Ian's site to my Win XP desktop, copied it to a thumbdrive/flash drive and installed it on my Win 7 desktop which does not have internet connectivity.

I have not attempted to install any subsequent DMR Decode software version until today. Using the same downloading, copying, porting and installation process when I attempting to execute "dmrdecode_b73.jar" I received the below error message "Could not find the main class.com.dmrDMR Decode. Program will exit". I was unsuccessful in attempting to locate and copy the missing "main class.com" file.

Can anyone tell me what to do to successfully install Build 73 on my Win 7 desktop? DSD and DSD Plus work fine on the Win 7 desktop.

John

Last edited:

br0adband

DMRDecode doesn't require installation, it's a Java application (the .jar file means it's a Java app aka program) meaning it requires Java to be installed - if it worked in the past on the same machine, what's most likely happened is that it's just fallen by the wayside meaning you haven't updated the Java runtime in oh, say 2+ years maybe. :)

As Ian has been making changes and updates to DMRDecode, he may have been using aspects that only work with the latest versions of Java itself meaning old stuff gets deprecated and no longer useful, replaced by something better or less error-prone, etc. Go to Java.com and grab the very latest installer (Java gets fairly regular updates for security and bugfixes so even if it's installed, do the latest anyway), let it install and finish up, then try running the latest DMRDecode again and it should work fine afterward.

Report back with your results...

Last edited:

IanWraith

Hi
The usual cause of this is a program other than Java associated with the .JAR file type. A .JAR is an oddity in that it is a compressed executable. If you uncompress the DMRDecode JAR file you will find all the binary class files but also the source code as well.

Anyway the usual cause of this problem is that the user has installed an uncompress or unzip type program that has automatically decided it is what will handle JAR files rather than Java. To fix it either right click on the JAR file (which appears as a folder) and re associate it with Java or reinstall Java.

Hope that helps.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.