BCT15: Cannot open COM port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Om_Audio

Hi-
I have installed the UASD on 2 diff computers both Win10 latest. Verified the COM port number assigned to the factory-supplied USB cable (FTDI). Changed COM port number. Drivers installed. Tried diff COM port speed settings (made sure comp and scanner matched)- but no matter what I instantly get a "cannot open -port may be used by other software". I have FW 1.03.04 and would like to update (where do I find it?) and also adjust programming. Any tips are appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 2021-11-25.png.jpg
    2021-11-25.png.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 7

Om_Audio

Isn't the factory supplied cable a prolific one and a FTDI are a third party one? Win10 disables some cables using old chips. Look in this thread and others: BC246T: - No Com Port? Win 10 | RadioReference.com Forums

/Ubbe
Freescan connects/works quickly and easily with the FTDI cable. I am fine with that!
Not a disabled chip- my friend who gave me the scanner said it always worked fine for him but he was using a different software (on Linux I think) seems fine- thx for the info.

a417

When you attach the cable to the computer, what COM port assignment pops up?

Om_Audio

COM12 (see pic) and I changed it to 15 and removed/reinstalled went back to COM12. Found Freescan today and it works perfectly so that's good. I will see if the FW app works.

a417

The pic just shows a cropped dialog box, that does not help anyone diagnosing your trouble other than saying "that program is looking for COM 15".

I asked what COM port does Windows enumerate for the USB Device when you plug it in? That will be found in the Device manager, not a third party dialog box window.

Om_Audio

It is COM12 in the device manager. Freescan works fine- firmware upgraded fine a few mins ago to 1.06.00. I changed the port number as well at one point based on another troubleshooting suggestion elsewhere. No effect. Seems to be an issue with the UASD software. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2021-11-26.png.jpg
    2021-11-26.png.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 2021-11-26 (1).png.jpg
    2021-11-26 (1).png.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 2021-11-26 (2).png.jpg
    2021-11-26 (2).png.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 11

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
It is COM12 in the device manager. Freescan works fine- firmware upgraded fine a few mins ago to 1.06.00. I changed the port number as well at one point based on another troubleshooting suggestion elsewhere. No effect. Seems to be an issue with the UASD software. Thanks.
The UASD software has not been updated since it's release years ago. While this might not be the case for your saystems, it was never updated to deal with rebanded trunked systems.

You are better off sticking with FreeSCAN. If you have systems programmed in UASD that you wish to use, you can import those into FreeSCAN & then load them into your scanner(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.