• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cannot read MCS2000 codeplug

fs6591

I have a problem with a MCS2000 that I acquired recently: type MR304A, model M01KHN9PW5AN (version III), 136-174 MHz.
The radio works, but when I try to read the codeplug, the CPS displays the message: "Error reading from image when attempting to unpack block Hardware Configuration Block Unpack failed." I use the CPS version R02.03.00 (original) with a RIB-interface that works fine with several other MCS2000s that I have.
Among these, I have a MCS2000 138-174 MHz with a 1-line display (version II), but I would like to use a version III radio with a 2-lines display, and that's why I bought this one. I tried to replace the 1-line display head on my previous radio with the 2-lines display head from the new radio and everything seems to work normally, but the second line remains blank and the CPS still recognizes the radio as a version II radio, so I cannot program the second line anyway.
I saw an old thread here on RR regarding the same problem, but no real solution was given. Since that thread is from 2011, I would like to hear if a solution to this problem has been found more recently?
Thanks
FS

a417

Either way. :rolleyes:

...hardware configuration block errors on a modified radio...do the issues go away if you revert it to stock?

fs6591

The confusion was you said it was a thread on RR, the one you linked was on Batboard.

Yes, you are right. Actually, I also found a similar thread on RR, but it was very short and insignificant, so I did not mention it at all.

fs6591

do you know if the Feature Descriptor Block was messed with?
Hi, the person who sold me the radio (quite cheap) has just told me that he programmed it several years ago and asked me what kind of CPS I use. As I wrote before, I use the latest version from Motorola, and I find it strange that a CPS should be considered too new. I have heard about error messages "Codeplug too new", but never "Codeplug too old", as codeplugs are supposed to be forward compatible.
When he answers and tells me what CPS he used, then we will hopely come closer to a solution.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
OK. So the MCS is quirky. I still use a Windows XP box to program mine with a RIB and MSI Cable. I use the cable to the 25 pin on the deck but have used the maxtrac cable in the head. What cable and OS are you using on this ?

fs6591

OK. So the MCS is quirky. I still use a Windows XP box to program mine with a RIB and MSI Cable. I use the cable to the 25 pin on the deck but have used the maxtrac cable in the head. What cable and OS are you using on this ?
I'm using a serial cable with RIB interface and Windows XP on an old laptop. As I told from the beginning, by means of this hardware and software I managed to program many different MCS2000s. With this radio it is the first time that I run into problems.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
You did specify which cable your using. If its the one to the head try swapping the head again or make sure pins are clean. Had alot of issues with heads in our SAR stuff so kept one in my truck only for programming.

fs6591

You did specify which cable your using. If its the one to the head try swapping the head again or make sure pins are clean. Had alot of issues with heads in our SAR stuff so kept one in my truck only for programming.
I'm using a serial cable like this: 9 pins connector from the PC to 9 pins connector on the RIB input, and then 25 pins connector on the RIB output to the microphone input on the radio. I don't think it's a matter of clean contacts, because the cable works fine with all the other radios.
I have not heard from the seller yet. In the meantime I think I'll try an old DOS program: the RSS RVN4113E, Version R04.00.00, and see what happens.

Spirex

The radio needs to be flashed to MCS2100. Everything is done in DOS, the supply voltage is strictly 13 volts.
1. In the software (folder 2100), we configure the new code plug of our model. We launch the program (launch file 2100EN.bat), press F4 F2 F2, select our model with the arrows on the keyboard (pay attention to everything, frequency range, power, etc.) When you have chosen, press F2 (creat codeplug), press F10 F10 F10 F3 F7 (SAVE RADIO TO DISK), It will come out to write the name of our file, leave blank as it is. Press F8 and then F2 to save the plugin code. That's it, the blank codeplug file has been created, and it sits in the folder with the 2100 program. Copy it and drop it into the folder with the Jedi nat cp prg program.
2. We launch the software from the Jedi nat cp prg folder (jedicp.exe launch file), press F3 F6, write our blank DmTest.ds all the time, press ENTER, then F2 (READ ARCHIVE). The program should write Archive File Read Successfully at the top. We press F10 F4 and F8 to write the plugin code, the recording should go on, on the display we will get the fault 02 error, we "hammer" it.
3. Run the software from the folder 2100upg_lab (launch file SKY_U19L.EXE), press X and N, wait for the firmware to complete, after completion, the station turns on with the inscription CH 1. Everything, the station is flashed and ready for programming in the software (folder 2100 and the first paragraph). Frequencies and other engineering settings are programmed there.

fs6591

The radio needs to be flashed to MCS2100. Everything is done in DOS, the supply voltage is strictly 13 volts.
1. In the software (folder 2100), we configure the new code plug of our model. We launch the program (launch file 2100EN.bat), press F4 F2 F2, select our model with the arrows on the keyboard (pay attention to everything, frequency range, power, etc.) When you have chosen, press F2 (creat codeplug), press F10 F10 F10 F3 F7 (SAVE RADIO TO DISK), It will come out to write the name of our file, leave blank as it is. Press F8 and then F2 to save the plugin code. That's it, the blank codeplug file has been created, and it sits in the folder with the 2100 program. Copy it and drop it into the folder with the Jedi nat cp prg program.
2. We launch the software from the Jedi nat cp prg folder (jedicp.exe launch file), press F3 F6, write our blank DmTest.ds all the time, press ENTER, then F2 (READ ARCHIVE). The program should write Archive File Read Successfully at the top. We press F10 F4 and F8 to write the plugin code, the recording should go on, on the display we will get the fault 02 error, we "hammer" it.
3. Run the software from the folder 2100upg_lab (launch file SKY_U19L.EXE), press X and N, wait for the firmware to complete, after completion, the station turns on with the inscription CH 1. Everything, the station is flashed and ready for programming in the software (folder 2100 and the first paragraph). Frequencies and other engineering settings are programmed there.
Thanks, but unfortunately I cannot use a MCS2100, because I need 2 lines of text with 14 continuous characters on each lines, and this is not possible on a MCS2100 (I know it, because have two MCS2100s in advance). But if you know how I can turn a MCS2100 into a MCS2000, please let me know.