Cannot stream scanner feeds on Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gcom

Hi, in the last month my android phone and mac computer have both stopped playing the scanner feeds. I have updated my droid 2 to the latest adobe flash player & also downloaded winamp, both to no avail. I can click on I-tunes and my mac will play the audio streams. What has changed in the web player that prevents me from listening and how do I fix it . Btw, my windows machine plays feeds .Thx & 73's

rbm

I've known many listeners who've had problems using the web players.

I think you'd be very happy with this app from the 'Market'.

Scanner Radio
by Gordon Edwards

I run quite a few apps on my Android phone so I can listen to several of my feeds at one time. Scanner Radio is the most dependable.

Rich

K

kb0nly

Scanner Radio gets my vote also, its the one i use on my Commando. I plug in a set of headphones and sit the phone in the cradle at night and listen for a while until i start to drift to sleep. LOL

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
Scanner Radio by Gordon Edwards is an excellent app. Tried the others and they don't compare. This is one of the few apps that is worth the getting the paid version. You can have a couple of instances going at once and change the screen colors to differentiate between the 2... Very cool.

gator

Premium Subscriber
You can have a couple of instances going at once and change the screen colors to differentiate between the 2... Very cool.

I have scannerradio too how do you go about running two feeds at a time

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
You can have a couple of instances going at once and change the screen colors to differentiate between the 2... Very cool.

I have scannerradio too how do you go about running two feeds at a time
You have to have the paid version. It allows you to install and use both the 'free' and the paid version at the same time.

Attachments

• screenshot-1331353747926.jpg
    screenshot-1331353747926.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,056
Last edited:

Gcom

Thanks for the tips guys , sorry so long getting back on here . I have been using the Scanner Radio
by Gordon Edwards and I agree it has been the best of the apps. It does clip the audio approx. every 10 secs. which causes some lost syllabels but have to live with it since RR changed their player and can no longer use theirs on my Android or laptop. Lol @ Scott i do the same thing & wake up with a earfull of chatter.
73's

Gcom

Thanks ak4fn . I will give it a try. I previously downloaded Winamp & never could get it to work with RR. Will try this.

Tsch6373

I had that problem some time ago with constant clipping of syllables and Gordon suggested uninstalling and reinstalling the app from the market. No problems since. I have the Droid2 and have upgraded to an HTC Rezound. Gordon's scanner app is what sold the phone for me! I've tried the others but nothing compares to this.

mikev

On Android, there's also a setting to use an in-app player versus the Android OS media player (via APIs). From the main screen, press the Menu key > Settings, select Player Settings, and scroll to the bottom. The setting you want to change is the Streaming Method.

After I changed this to Android Media Player, I found that it worked just fine with no audio drops anymore.

Gcom

Unfortunately I have been unable to locate a default media player in my droid 2 . I have removed Gordon's app twice and reinstalled & no change . I will try it once more since that has been awhile ago. Really appreciate everyone's input.

ka3bhq

Scanner Radio for Droid 2

Have you emailed Gordon to ask his advice?

If he has any ideas, I'm sure he'll pass them along.

Ted, KA3BHQ

Just to say: Both Android Samsung 10.1 tablet and Samsung Note just loaded right up and started/run fine, only help from me was to go into settings and turn-on "Use GPS Location" and a couple of other options, which don't affect using the app, persay. SR also works great on my new Lumia 900 Windows Phone(If I may add that, here?). I made SURE Gordon got my money(Small as it is.) for the Pro version. Don't tell Gordon, but SR is worth much more. Access to Gordon, for TS, is priceless.

ka3bhq

SR Settings???

I am looking at the "Settings/Player settings" tab in SR Pro(NOT the phone/tablet/device settings!)...

At the bottom of this settings page is "Streaming Method". When I click on it, I have "In-app Player" checked. I can only assume this is SR's "very own" media player - NOT Android Media Player(Or any other player - WinAmp, etc.). Is this what you have checked?

I will re-install SR "Free" and see if those same settings are available - and check back in here. And also see if I can hear two scanners at once(Talk about Nirvana!!!).

mikev

I am looking at the "Settings/Player settings" tab in SR Pro(NOT the phone/tablet/device settings!)...

At the bottom of this settings page is "Streaming Method". When I click on it, I have "In-app Player" checked. I can only assume this is SR's "very own" media player - NOT Android Media Player(Or any other player - WinAmp, etc.). Is this what you have checked?

That is the setting that I am referring to in my post. I found that changing it from "In-App Player" to "Android Media Player" stopped causing the momentary audio drops to occur, resulting in issue-free listening! This was on my LG Lucid... results may differ on other phones.

ka3bhq

Yes, Now I see. I thought you were talking about changes in the phone, itself... In any event, it works "the other way" for me - ha! Never had to try changing players.

From here on, what I say is based on the Android 3.2 OS, in my Samsung 10.1 Tablet. Yours is different, no doubt. I can check for "how to do it" on the Samsung Note, if desired(Gingerbread 2.3.5???)...

Thoughts(All of which you have already done - ha!). I would remove all "other" stuff from the machine - including other players, scanners, etc., and "reboot".

Uninstalling and re-installing an app(Mentioned by GCOM)... When you do so - the Android device(Phone) backup system "automatically" re-installs, from the web, ALL the former app settings you may have made. Convenient, but --- With this "helper" setting enabled, one may not be able to "start from scratch", if there was a "bad" setting IN the software/SR settings. On the device - Try going to Settings/Privacy/Backup and Restore, then, un-check "Automatic Restore" - THEN uninstall SR, re-download and re-install SR(Hoping Android does not go get all the old settings.), and see if SR works. Goal is to get a "clean" version of SR into the device. Whatever happens, don't forget you unchecked automatic restore!

If this sort of thing happens "suddenly", all at once(Not getting worse and worse and worse, which indicates a device/OS, or other, problem.), on two platforms(?!), it rather "indicates" a software change/update, somewhere along the way(Assuming no changes on the machines - tough assumption!). Or, the machines OS, not being "updated"? Another reason to ask Mr. Gordon.

I also wonder if "other stuff" is also malfunctioning on the phone? Sometimes hard to say if we don't use "other stuff".

Deleting all cache/saved "stuff" may help. I have "APP CACHE CLEANER" and "ASTRO" installed to fool with such things.

Finally, if no suggestions from the programmer, I would consider backing-up the entire phone, with whatever software one uses, "Hard" reset the phone and "try again", with a "clean" phone, trying to make sure that when one downloads SR(First app to download after reset!), Android will not "reinstall" prior settings! Again - if it worked before..? One may need to determine "Before What?"...

If all else fails, reboot. If reboot fails, format and re-install the whole shebang. Then, start right off ONLY installing the "malfunctioning" software, all by itself.

Of, maybe it's getting close to "Phone Upgrade Time"??? My old Windows Phone, got to the point it wouldn't do lots of things - for instance, Microsoft "upgraded" Bing Maps(Suddenly, without consulting me!), so my phone(Which could not update TO New Bing.), would no longer speak directions... Happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.