Cannot update from 1.0.4.12

Status
Not open for further replies.

skunkhaze

Premium Subscriber
I've been trying to update my firmware to the newer versions, i bought a 996T scanner off the forums from a member couple of months back works great. But im trying to figure out how to register my product on the uniden website which is frustrating the hell out of me.

Is the ESN the long series of numbers located on the scanner under the firmware version?

Or would that be my serial number, ive already located the Checksum which is easy, but everytime i plug these numbers in on uniden i get a error or invalid? And would the serial number sent by email be my ESN?

I've tried both sets of Numbers in the ESN and Serial number i know the ESN asks for the last 9 digits which i have tried.

I keep getting errors like " invalidsufftxt or Does not recognize ESN S/N" etc..

If somebody could help me walk through please! it would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Current Version

I've been trying to update my firmware to the newer versions, i bought a 996T scanner off the forums from a member couple of months back works great. But im trying to figure out how to register my product on the uniden website which is frustrating the hell out of me.

Is the ESN the long series of numbers located on the scanner under the firmware version?

Or would that be my serial number, ive already located the Checksum which is easy, but everytime i plug these numbers in on uniden i get a error or invalid? And would the serial number sent by email be my ESN?

I've tried both sets of Numbers in the ESN and Serial number i know the ESN asks for the last 9 digits which i have tried.

I keep errors like " invalidsufftxt or Does not recognize ESN S/N" etc..

If somebody could help me walk through please! it would be greatly appreciated

The current FIRMWARE version for the 996T is 3.02....If you have ver 1.x.x then there is no ESN I think that got added after ver 2 maybe even 3 Try MENU and SETTING and scroll to SEE SCANNER INFO for your S/N and versions

skunkhaze

Premium Subscriber
I already tried that option Menu>Scanner settings info it displays a SN what exactly is the ESN and what was the key registration sent via email

Im at version 1.04.12 which adds the ESN to the scanner along with the serial number, what exactly is the ESN?

Theres a serial number on the back of the scanner and a new one on the menu under the scanner settings

Last edited:

SkipSanders

Silent Key
From My Uniden page on this subject: (All of which translated to, 'you can't upgrade to 2.x or higher until you register the scanner, get an ESN, and have it available to give the later updates so they'll work)
--------
No matter which scanner you have, your first stop for getting the latest updates into your scanner is My Uniden. Start by registering your scanner, then follow the links to get the updates you need.

The general steps to apply the update are:

Register your scanner (you don't need to enter the ESN/Checksum, yet).

For the BCD396T, download and install ESN_Loader. For the BCD996T, download and install BC_VUP 2.0.0.3 and download and uncompress the V1.04.12 update.

For the BCD396T, run the ESN_Loader application and follow the on-screen instructions.

For the BCD996T, run the BC_VUP application, select the V1.04.12 update when prompted, then follow the on-screen instructions

For either scanner, navigate in its menu to MENU --> Settings --> See Scanner Info --> Firmware Version and make a note of your scanner's ESN and 3-digit/letter checksum.

Update the registration information for your scanner with the ESN and checksum.

On your "All My Scanners" page, click the link for "Get Registration Key" then select the "Get Key" button on the window that opens.

Download the V2 update by selecting the link on your "All My Scanners" page then unzip it to a folder on your PC.

Apply the update to your scanner using BC_VUP, entering that scanner's registration key when prompted.

skunkhaze

Premium Subscriber
"*Model Number BCD996T *Nickname ( unidens website)
*Serial Number 335Z ESN 33526
Where are my ESN and ESN Checksum? " Enter the last 9 numerical digits of the electronic serial

I already updated version to from the previous 1..03 to 1.04.12 and it does infact display the SUM number an a Serial number, when i try to put in the last 9 digits of the serial number from the scanner menu itself it doesnt work. ( not the physical) So which is the ESN?

And for the serial number ( physically on the back ) i can only enter the numbers after 335Z you cannot fit the whole thing into the box on the product registration website there is where i'm totally confused?

Either way i tried different combos of serial numbers and it didnt work? Would google chrome or any other browser cause a an error to occur or is it just myself lol.

unidenhell.jpg

Last edited:

bsocomm1

Premium Subscriber
a little help 996t

im trying to do an firmware upgrade on my 996t, i currently have version 2.0, when i go to register my product it is asking for a serial number, my unit is installed in my truck, is there a way i can get the actual serial number (not the esn) without un installing my scanner, thanks in advance

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I had a similar problem having to unmount a 996T to get at the back to find a serial number.......the serial number was one digit short of all the other 996's I deal with, so I am not sure I can register.

For the benefit of search engines.......can you make up a serial number to register with Uniden, or will it somehow conflict with the ESN or fry the radio?

paul

Status
Not open for further replies.