Can't Break Squelch Easily

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trunkerman63

I wonder if all GRE PSR 600's are like mine. On a digital signal, if it is too far away or weak, even if it has 2-3 bars, it just sits there and makes this quiet popping sound, not breaking the squelch. An analog signal of the same signal strength is there, loud and clear.

If it takes that strong a digital signal to make this radio function right, then it has to be mandatory to have either a tall outside antenna, or be very close to the digital repeater or transmitter.

I'm in Taylor County Texas, and this is what I get, if I can get anything at all from neighboring Shackelford County. The county to the west, Nolan, doesn't come in at all. I am in an apartment complex and can't put up an outside antenna, but do have a good Diamond antenna on the radio. I have wondered if the radio has a problem or a setting is wrong. The times I have heard Shackelford Co., the quality was great and readable, but the signal was 4 to full scale to do this. This has been the big disappointment in this scanner. It takes a walloping strong digital signal to function right. Looks like something could be set in the radio to let digital come through even on a 1 bar signal strength, but I guess not.

T

trunkerman63

Okay. Looks like it is a common problem for the 600 with no answers or solutions. Should've got a Uniden or Shack brand.

Thanks-

GTR8000

NYS Database Guy
Database Admin
Should've got a Uniden or Shack brand.
GRE makes almost all Radio Shack model scanners. There is no difference other than the name on the outside of the case...same hardware, same software. Pro-197 = PSR-600.

Status
Not open for further replies.