can't decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

gqtrebor

Can't decide wich scanner i want

a 996t or a 369t

i like the fact the 996t has gps

but i like the 369t for be a handheld.

stuck in the middle.What do you guys think?

rbm

The BCD996T has "Close Call Do Not Disturb".

That's far better than having almost every transmission interrupted by Close Call on the BCD396T which makes it annoying to use it.

If you need (or desire) a handheld, go for the BCD396T. Otherwise, I think the BCD996T is a better choice.

Better yet, one of each!

Rich

rbm

It will take some getting used to initially and be a little frustrating at first. (Flexibility has a price.)

It's probably not something that you'll pick up on your first day and be able to fly through any amount of manual programming.

Since I got my first BCD396T, I've used the Uniden UASD software package(s) for my 996's, 396's, and BCT15's. That way I can share all of the programming files. (I have over 200 so far and adding more every day.)

If you haven't seen this already you may find it useful.

Easier to Read
BCD996T/UBCD996T Scanner Manual
http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners/996/996.html

Rich

Last edited:

gqtrebor

will that software use a .ssd file?

like my 785d i have the softwae for that it uses a .ssd file. or will i have to redo it over again?

WickedPC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Mine has a serial cable but it also came with a serial to usb cable ..

But I bought it used off of the sales thread and the previous owner was nice enough to throw it in ..

af5rn

Only the serial cable comes with the radio in the box. You can get either a separate USB cable, or you can get a serial to USB adaptor. That's assuming you don't have a serial cable, which it seems few people have anymore. I didn't even know I didn't have one until I got this scanner, lol.

Both radios are essentially the same. Which one you choose is going to depend on how you scan, which you have told us nothing about. You can't go walking around the mall or Disneyland with a 996. But a 396 is a pain in the arse to operate while driving or in the dark. You have to analyse your scanning habits to determine whether handheld or mobile/base is more suitable to your needs. Or you can do like many of us and just get several of both. :lol:

gqtrebor

well right now i own a 785d.But with all the new technology out i wanted some a little more updated. plus just got a big raise at work so i thought i would treat myself lol.Anyway I got up north alot for work. and the police there still only use am.

I like the whole prtable thing. But then a base wouldent be so bad too cause i could through it on the car seat.

its mostly going to be used for passing the time away while away on work trips.

I am just scared about the whole programing of the 996t cause i see so many people just frustrated at trying to get them programed.

i dont want to be in over my head. i know computers really well, but scanning is nothing like computers.

i do have serial on my computer need it for my F.T.A. ( free to air)
anyway yea so mostly just be on the desk. but protable would be nice for the car.

so im not sure.

af5rn

Programming is the same on both radios, so neither really has an advantage over the other in that respect.

Basically, if you can think of more than a couple of instances when you would like to go scanning on foot, you'll want to get the 396. If you want to use the same scanner between the vehicle and the house/hotel, then again, go with the 396. But if you're going to be scanning almost exclusively in one place (car, house, hotel) without a lot of back and forth, then the 996 is a lot more pleasant to operate.

You haven't mentioned whether or not you need digital capability where you listen, but if you don't, then I'd buy non-digital radios, saving more than half the price of a digital radio, and get both a mobile/base and a handheld.

And I think you may be confused about agencies using AM. The only AM radios out there are CBs, aircraft radios, and shortwave Ham radios. Perhaps you mean they are non-digital?

omrail

I got the .butel software for my 396 and my 15 and I find it easy to use how ever I find my self programming via the scanner if it is a small job. for programming the Edmonton public safety system I needed the software for easy and save time. if you find your self in a hole with programming just pm me and I will try to help you out.

when it comes to the cable if you need the serial to USB adaptor at some point go to London Drugs I got one for $20 or so at south common.

when it comes to digital I would go with it as the Alberta government is building a P25 system to come on line in 2011 from what I have read. as will the RCMP are ether going to sing on to that or build there own from what I have been haring.

gqtrebor

yea i got cables coming out the wang cheung. i keep putting my serial port back in my computers so im still running old school stuff.

yea i tihnk im going to be getting a 996t. it will be easy now to buy since unidendirect ships to canada now. kinda wish i could find one here in edmonton though to buy.

af5rn

Man, there's gotta be others who ship to Canadia cheaper. Uniden Direct is about fifty-bucks more expensive than other dealers. Although, that's still cheaper than the Canadian dealers seem to be charging.

gqtrebor

yea most cnd places i saw want about 600 to 700, and im not paying that.

are dollar is almost on par if not sometimes beating the american dollar. so there is no need for a mark up. i guess im not too worried about buying from uniden direct cause if something was to go worng what could they really say being uniden?

to me thats worth the little extra i would pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.