Can't figure out how to use the butel arc 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouble6860

I have a pro 197 scanner and I purchased the arc 500 software to program my scanner but I am still stumped. I have no idea how to use the software or what fields to fill in. Can someone please help me with this problem and tell what I am doing wrong? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

garys

Premium Subscriber
What is it you are trying to do? You can use the "Scannable Objects" tab to enter conventional frequencies, talk groups, and trunks system frequencies and parameters. You can also enter Alpha Tags, PLs, and other information.

The "Global" tab allows you to enter other parameters such a start up banner, sounds, priority information, Scan List Tags.

It can seem overwhelming at first, but take you time and look things over and you'll see it's actually kind of straight forward.

trouble6860

That is what has me confuse,, talk groups,, trunk system frequencies I put the information in where it says truck system and then when I try to transfer it to my scanner is says that no talk group has been assigned and then it puts the alpha tag in where the frequencies go and then it will just have a star in the first column. I am really confused,, I'm use to the old scanners where you just put the frequencies in and it runs,,lol...Gues it is hard to teach old dogs new tricks...

thinshavings

Easiest thing to do is subscribe to RR and do direct download into the scanner of systems you want to listen to....super easy....I don't know why I waited so long to subscribe.

garys

Premium Subscriber
That is what has me confuse,, talk groups,, trunk system frequencies I put the information in where it says truck system and then when I try to transfer it to my scanner is says that no talk group has been assigned and then it puts the alpha tag in where the frequencies go and then it will just have a star in the first column. I am really confused,, I'm use to the old scanners where you just put the frequencies in and it runs,,lol...Gues it is hard to teach old dogs new tricks...

It's easier if you understand that trunk frequencies and trunk talk groups are two totally different components of the same system. What I tell people, with both Uniden and GRE/RS scanners is once you have the frequencies programmed in, you can forget about them. It's the talk groups that correlated to "channels" in a non trunked radio system.

If you've figured out how to enter frequencies, you're good on that part so I won't tell you again.

Talk Groups go under "Talk Groups" in the "Scanable Objects" section of ARC500. You'll want to enter the talk group number, an Alpha Tag, and assign that Talk Group to at least one Scan List.

Think of Scan Lists as banks in older scanners. The advantage here is that frequencies in non trunked systems and Talk Groups in trunked systems can be assigned to multiple lists.

If you are using the RR database to download, you can do all of that automatically. System frequencies are in the left window. Talk Groups are in the right window. Scan lists are assigned by using the Scan List tab.

Once you understand the concept of Talk Groups versus frequencies, the scanner is very easy to program.

Don't be intimidated by the scanner or the software. Play around with it until you get it the way you like it. I've lost count of how many times I reprogrammed my 996XT scanner until I got it the way I want it. In fact, I'm not sure I ever will get exactly as I want it. That's what's great about these scanners, you can reprogram them at will.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
When I click on the RR it goes to the right sight but it shows... INIT not ok can't read user data

From the Wiki right here on this site,

• I am receiving a "Init not ok. Can't read user data" message when trying to import data from the database
This message usually indicates that a firewall is blocking the software to access the internet. Add the ARC software to the safelist of your firewall software. You may also see this message on satellite internet connections due to the latency on those networks. The webimport may not work on satellite internet, use dialup or cable/DSL instead. 'Hughesnet' users must disable the Turbopage option.

Status
Not open for further replies.