cant get audio to work with scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kens-scanner

Hello this is my 1st time using this site with my scanner and i am broadcasting right now but for some reason i cant get the audio to work

zpdx

Feed Provider
I can hear audio coming through your feed, but the levels are really high, including a constant low pitch hum. If you are using the Mic input make sure you do NOT have the +20db microphone boost enabled. You can typically find this in the Windows volume control (XP), Sound control panel (Vista, win7), or proprietary driver software if you have one (like Realtek Audio Manager).

kens-scanner

hi thanks for listening yea i noticed that to the levels are abit high i dont know why i hear the humming on there i am on vista still trying to figure it out

kens-scanner

hi i am still trying to figure it out this is all new to me and 1st time i tried my scanner on this site i dont know why there is a hum noise

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
hi i am still trying to figure it out this is all new to me and 1st time i tried my scanner on this site i dont know why there is a hum noise

I don't know what feed you're talking about so I can't listen to it to diagnose it.

I'm guessing that you have the input gain on your feed computer cranked up so high that it's hearing every last noise coming down the line.

Adjusting the audio levels properly is absolutely crucial to a good feed, there is nothing plug-and-play about this, you gotta get your hands dirty.

You could try hooking speakers to the feed computer and just plain listen to what the feed computer is hearing. If it sounds bad there, it will sound bad on the stream that you send out.

Have you read the wiki article listing steps for setting up and adjusting your feed?

Instructions

Give that a try and see what you get.

hvscan

You have great advise here that should help to resolve the problem for you. I would add that you need to turn the mic or line in volume all the way down (based on which one you are connected to). Do the same on your scanner. Open the mic or line in volume just a bit and do the same on your scanner. From there, listen to your feed and slowly adjust the volume until it sounds clean. Remember, there is a small delay, so you need to give the feed time to broadcast your adjustment. Do this with your squelch open, so you have noise to listen to. It takes very little volume to have a clean, good sounding feed.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
You have great advise here that should help to resolve the problem for you. I would add that you need to turn the mic or line in volume all the way down (based on which one you are connected to). Do the same on your scanner. Open the mic or line in volume just a bit and do the same on your scanner. From there, listen to your feed and slowly adjust the volume until it sounds clean. Remember, there is a small delay, so you need to give the feed time to broadcast your adjustment. Do this with your squelch open, so you have noise to listen to. It takes very little volume to have a clean, good sounding feed.

That's a good way to do it. If you want to eliminate the delay then listen to the local speakers on the feed computer as a rough guide.

That VU level meter that I found is indispensible in setting up the feed properly. It shows you immediately if you are red-lining, which is BAD. Keep the level below about -2dB on the meter and you will have a clean sounding feed.

download Digital Level Meter

kens-scanner

i have my scanner working now

hi thanks for replying i got my feed working now i dont leave the feed on 24/7 i just try to leave it on as long as i can

Status
Not open for further replies.