can't get conventional system to scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExplorerA

Premium Subscriber
Help anyone, Please!? I have programmed a BCD396XT scanner with conventional and the P25 trunk systems. I used to have another scanner and it picked up stuff constantly. I have programmed the same counties and so far I have not figured out how to scan both the conventional and the trunk systems AT THE SAME TIME. I was told by a tech at uniden that I should put it in ID scan and it will scan both at the same time. but when I do that only the trunks scan and I get absolutely nothing and the conventional frequencies that I did get off and on I dont get anymore either. Does anyone know how I can do this? thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Check your quick key assignments - both your trunked and conventional systems need at least 1 - it can share a Site/System QK, or you can assign separate ones, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

If you were to post your file (not knowing what you are using for programming makes it difficult to say which is needed), others can take a peek at it and see what gives. But QK assignments are something that takes a bit of getting used to, since there are so many combinations possible.

best regards..Mike

ExplorerA

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike, I actually had them all programmed with QKs, but when in scan mode, it would only pick up conventional channels. I finally figured out how to get it in ID Scan mode and this corrected the problem. Now its seems to be working ok. There is SO much to learn, it is overwhelming.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
One of the issues, I'm sure, is trying to read the Uniden supplied manual, which is nowhere near an easy read. The Easier to Read series is much better - you can download the one for the 396XT, purchase the XT manual from Scanner Master or even have a series of cheat sheet cards as a guide. We also have an extensive FAQ on the DMA radios. Both of these resources are linked here...

Programming Your Uniden Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

best regards..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.