HP-2: Can't Get GPS to Work with HP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalus

First of all: I read the really good info at http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/307752-gps-cable-mod-uniden-scanners.html And it was a great help.

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I just can't get my system to connect or work.

I am using a Garmin 18X LVC serial GPS puck, a Rosewill RCW-109 cable and a Homepatrol 2 scanner. Yes, I could have purchased Uniden GPS add-on, but the installation would not be as neat and clean, so I decided to roll my own.

The system is wired as follows:
Power to the Garmin GPS puck (+5V red, ground to black)
Power ground also goes to the Scanner pin 4 via the red wire on the RCW-109 cable
The transmit data signal from the Garmin GPS (White wire) goes to the Scanner pin 1 via the black wire on the RCW-109 cable
The Receive data signal from the Garmin GPS (Green wire) goes to the scanner pin 3 via the white wire on the RCW-109 cable

The power cable is connected via 'cube' USB adapter to mains power in the house for testing. It will be moved to a USB adapter in the car when everything works.

The Garmin GPS puck is temporarily next to the window in the house.

From what I can figure out all is properly wired per the info in the reference article as well as independent research on the web.

The scanner is set via Sentinel to a baud rate of 4800 and using the DMS format. I also entered and confirmed the settings on scanner using the menu. I have tried DD.dddd format and several baud rates without success.

The GPS screen on the Homepatrol 2 shows the format and baud rate but - and this is the key - the next line says 'IGNORE GPS" with a WHITE dot next to it. Plugging the GPS into the socket on the scanner does not provide an opportunity to use or ignore GPS. Whether the GPS cable connected or not makes no difference.

I'm stumped, and it's probably obvious, but I can't find what I'm doing wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

marksmith

You will only get the option to "use GPS" once the scanner detects the GPS. It pops up with an option at that time. Until then the option is white out on the scanner menu.

4800 is the right baud rate. I can't confirm all the wire to pin items you quoted, but I am using the same Garmin puck on mine and it works great.

I am using a combination cable where the cable is connected to cigarette lighter power that is connected to the GPS, probably what you are using as it came with the puck. It has an RS232 type connector on the other end, to which I have connected a cable that is compatible with the GPS input on the scanner.

I fire up the scanner, then connect the powered GPS. I get the connected message and the question do I want to use it. I say yes and the GPS menu now shows a lit dot next to GPS in use. I also get a green light next to the GPS label on top of scanner.

If I shut off the scanner in this configuration after all connections, it seems to default back to everything the next time I turn it on. If it loses the GPS connection due to lack of power or cable disconnect, the light goes red and I think I get a message.

Don’t know if any of this helps, but it sounds like we are using the same exact equipment.

Cable disconnect or power loss to GPS are the only issues I have ever had.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

daedalus

Thanks for the fast response, Mark. You have confirmed what I expected - the Scanner isn't recognizing the presence of the GPS. It's helpful to know from you what 'normal' operation looks like. I remain stumped as to why it is not working for me. Hopefully someone else will jump in also.

Jack

marksmith

Confirm your power to the GPS and cable connection. If you have the baud rate at 4800, it's all that is left.

I suspect the cable setup.

I can't remember where I got mine, but I believe the two connection cables came in the same set or I was recommended to get the cable to use with the Garmin cable. I remember getting them at the same time (back when the HP1 came out) so that I knew in advance it was a working cable setup.

Mark

phask

Premium Subscriber
Nearly the same as Mark. Using the same Garmin puck Only difference is I had previously used a Garmin handheld and used some the wiring/adapters. Mine is buried behind the dash or I'd see what it is.

I do remember that out of the box it was just plug and play, with my cables and adapters. Did that before mounting it.

Only difference is both of ours have a serial cable - so also - has to be a cable issue.

If knowledgeable youcan dump the output into a terminal program and look at the output - have done that , but was when RTTY was hi speed :)

Confirm your power to the GPS and cable connection. If you have the baud rate at 4800, it's all that is left.

I suspect the cable setup.

I can't remember where I got mine, but I believe the two connection cables came in the same set or I was recommended to get the cable to use with the Garmin cable. I remember getting them at the same time (back when the HP1 came out) so that I knew in advance it was a working cable setup.

Mark

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It was plug and play for me. Make sure the red light on the puck is blinking or doing something to indicate it is getting power. When the GPS is plugged in and connected to the scanner properly, the scanner should recognize it within a few seconds and indicate so on-screen. If this isn't happening, you could have a wiring error, an incorrect setting, or a problem with the puck.

stingray327

It was plug and play for me. Make sure the red light on the puck is blinking or doing something to indicate it is getting power. When the GPS is plugged in and connected to the scanner properly, the scanner should recognize it within a few seconds and indicate so on-screen. If this isn't happening, you could have a wiring error, an incorrect setting, or a problem with the puck.

GPS puck is blinking red so it's working. On HP-2 GPS indicator does come on. I eliminate my favorites and open up database to types of calls I wish to monitor. On HP-2 range is set to 0.

marksmith

GPS puck is blinking red so it's working. On HP-2 GPS indicator does come on. I eliminate my favorites and open up database to types of calls I wish to monitor. On HP-2 range is set to 0.
It's definitely your cabling from puck to radio from everything you have described.

You have ruled everything else out.

The radio is not getting a GPS connection at the correct 4800 baud.

Mark

daedalus

Hi Stingray - welcome to my confusion (-;

I verified the puck is getting +5VDC and tried swapping the RX and TX leads to the GPS. No joy. I'm suspecting a bad GPS puck at this point.

Wanting a working system for the Thanksgiving drive (12 hours each way) I broke down and ordered the Uniden official GPS and cable to the HP2.

Why do I always wait until the last minute to try these projects? (-;

stingray327

I verified the puck is getting +5VDC and tried swapping the RX and TX leads to the GPS. No joy. I'm suspecting a bad GPS puck at this point.

Wanting a working system for the Thanksgiving drive (12 hours each way) I broke down and ordered the Uniden official GPS and cable to the HP2.

I don't know but even though my HP-2 indicates that it is in GPS mode I do not pick up local signals and police/fire for some reason. The 436 is even worse.

r7

Did this end up solving your problem? I'm now having the same exact problem. Only difference is my Uniden GPS was working just dandy since I bought the scanner in May, and now all of a sudden the scanner doesn't recognize it ("Ignore GPS, white dot, etc.). I suspected it was a bad serial cable, so I replaced that, still no luck. I'm guessing it is either the GPS puck or the internals of the serial port on the scanner, which I've also read is a potential problem, but I'm curious to know if the Uniden GPS worked OK for you.

LouieCT

Premium Subscriber
I have issues with my HP 2 also, turns out the port is bad on the HP2 itself. Common problem with the horrible location and design. So now I have to decide is it worth sending to Uniden to fix since a self repair is extremely difficult solder wise

stingray327

Did this end up solving your problem? I'm now having the same exact problem. Only difference is my Uniden GPS was working just dandy since I bought the scanner in May, and now all of a sudden the scanner doesn't recognize it ("Ignore GPS, white dot, etc.). I suspected it was a bad serial cable, so I replaced that, still no luck. I'm guessing it is either the GPS puck or the internals of the serial port on the scanner, which I've also read is a potential problem, but I'm curious to know if the Uniden GPS worked OK for you.

No I never got it going on either the 436 or HP2. Then again I always used my favorites list which is local. I have not done any real traveling long distance. I can still try other areas with different departments.
Maybe more adjustments are involved. I don't know. I thought you just plug it into GPS with cable and puck and it should work. I probably have to sort out the types of calls and adjust the range so I don't get overloaded with too many channels to scan.

yank108

I had the same problem. When I finally clicked on the "full database" it worked. I had mine stuck on dedicated databases I set up. Go full throttle and use the full database.

Status
Not open for further replies.