• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can't get programmer to recognize .sc4 file

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPXS472

I have a couple of LPE200's I am trying to convert to Amateur use on 900 MHz. I followed the instructions I found elsewhere on the 'net and modified the VCO. Afterward, I get a VCO unlocked message upon power up. That makes sense because the radio still has commercial frequencies programmed. I made a .SC4 file per the instructions in the article, placed it in the PERS folder in Programmer, programmed a few 900 MHz ham frequencies. I still get a VCO unlocked message. Just to check, I took another radio that didn't have a modified VCO and programmed it with the same frequencies and it doesn't give the VCO unlocked message. So, it looks like Programmer isn't using the .SC4 file. I checked the box that asked about using .SC4 files. Do I need to put it in some other location?

WPXS472

Oh, how so? The original frequencies were in the 938, 939 range. The ones I put in are in the 937 range. The .SC4 file is supposed to offset the frequencies 10 MHz lower than what is entered. Programmer won't allow me to even enter anything below 935.0125 for receive. Since I modified the VCO to go lower in frequency to enable reception of 927 MHz range signals, it probably shouldn't lock on the normal 938, 939 frequencies. The problem is that Programmer isn't utilizing the .SC4 file to lower the frequencies to the 927 range.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
When I created the original 900 Ham SC4 files for the M-RK radios back in May 2001, the commands were as follows:

// M-RK & LPE Portable 896-941 MHz to 902 & 927 MHz for Amateur use.
// Moves RX base frequency from 935 MHz to 927 MHz
// Moves TX base frequency from 896 MHz to 902 MHz
// Moves TX-TA base frequency from 935 MHz to 927 MHz
// FOR AMATEUR RADIO USE ONLY !!!!!!!!!!
// Written by: Mark A. Cobbeldick 05-23-2001
FREQTBL /f /b0 /=35
FREQTBL /f /b1 /=C3
FREQTBL /f /b2 /=6D
FREQTBL /f /b3 /=80
FREQTBL /f /b4 /=37
FREQTBL /f /b5 /=40
FREQTBL /f /b6 /=E5
FREQTBL /f /b7 /=C0
FREQTBL /f /b8 /=37
FREQTBL /f /b9 /=40
FREQTBL /f /bA /=E5
FREQTBL /f /bB /=C0

Compare your file with my original.

This was initially written for SIMPLEX use only, by offsetting the frequencies down 8 MHz. The intent at the time was to give the option to use unmodified radios in 927 MHz band for simplex use at Hamfests. This idea worked great, and was evolved later to allow repeater use with inputs in the 902 MHz frequency range.

That file which evolved in April 2002 from the original, allowed repeater inputs, but on occasion required a VCO adjustment with some individual radios.

// Orion, M-RK & LPE Portable
// Alters a 896-902(TX) & 935-941(TX/RX) commercial radio to 902-905(TX) & 925-928(TX/RX) for Amateur Radio use.
// Moves RX base frequency from 935 MHz to 925 MHz.
// Moves TX base frequency from 896 MHz to 902 MHz.
// Moves TX-TA base frequency from 935 MHz to 925 MHz.
// Program 896.000 to get 902.000 MHz.
// Program 935.000 to get 925.000 MHz.
//
// FOR AMATEUR RADIO USE ONLY !!!!!!!!!!
//
// Written by: Mark A. Cobbeldick 04-26-2002
//
//tx freq
FREQTBL /f /b0 /=35
FREQTBL /f /b1 /=C3
FREQTBL /f /b2 /=6D
FREQTBL /f /b3 /=80
//rx freq
FREQTBL /f /b4 /=37
FREQTBL /f /b5 /=22
FREQTBL /f /b6 /=61
FREQTBL /f /b7 /=40
//tx talkaround freq
FREQTBL /f /b8 /=37
FREQTBL /f /b9 /=22
FREQTBL /f /bA /=61
FREQTBL /f /bB /=40

I hope this helps...

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Thanks for that. I will examine that closely. Does the .SC4 file go in the PERS folder?

For simplicity, yes. Drop the SC4 file in the same folder with the personality file(s) associated.

I use a slightly different system. I moved the subfiles for the software directly to the computer's harddrive, and I have subdivided-up the files associated with Radio Programmer and Radio Personality Manager. I have both RPM and Programmer both point to these folders.

It works for me...

Last edited:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
In keeping with trying to archive all the same information in the same area I resurrect this post with the following questions:

I tried modifying the table listed here for VHF and placed it in the PERS folder in Programmer 16 for my MKR scan radios, and no joy. I had used an online DEC to HEX to get my conversion info. When I loaded the 902 example to check it matched with 8 digits of hex, when I deleted 902 and put 140 in I got 7 digits. I believe the last place would be a zero so I tried that, and no luck. I added another zero to the DEC and got 8 digits of HEX (another 0) with obviously different data in the preceding 7 digits, and loaded that in my SC4 extension file and still no luck. I have programmed and read multiple times looking for the stated change in frequencies, but they don't change and the radio transmits on the freq loaded, and not 10 down.

To add some info the DEC to hex is 140000000=8583b00

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Last edited:

kb4cvn

Silent Key
In keeping with trying to archive all the same information in the same area I resurrect this post with the following questions:

I tried modifying the table listed here for VHF and placed it in the PERS folder in Programmer 16 for my MKR scan radios, and no joy. I had used an online DEC to HEX to get my conversion info. When I loaded the 902 example to check it matched with 8 digits of hex, when I deleted 902 and put 140 in I got 7 digits. I believe the last place would be a zero so I tried that, and no luck. I added another zero to the DEC and got 8 digits of HEX (another 0) with obviously different data in the preceding 7 digits, and loaded that in my SC4 extension file and still no luck. I have programmed and read multiple times looking for the stated change in frequencies, but they don't change and the radio transmits on the freq loaded, and not 10 down.

To add some info the DEC to hex is 140000000=8583b00

Any ideas where I am going wrong?

Please Private Message (PM) me...

WPXS472

If you have the secret sauce to make this work, then please post it for the rest of us. I have had the exact same trouble, even using the same file another person used that worked for them.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
The SC4 and SC5 files are unique to each bandsplit.
You can't take a file for one bandsplit, and simply edit it to work on other bandsplit unless you are familiar to working with the coding format the radios use.

If you are well versed in the memory map locations in the radios....................Go For It.

If not, PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you the SC4/5 file you need to nudge a radio into the amateur bands. I wrote them years ago, have tested them extensively, and freely share them.

Popular moves:

35-50 radio up 4 MHz to work 6 meter amateur and receive 39 MHz public safety (radio becomes 39-54 MHz)

35-50 radio up 10 MHz to work 6 meter amateur (radio becomes 45-60 MHz)

136-160 radio up 3 MHz to get NOAA Weather (radio becomes 139-163 MHz)

150-174 radio down 6 MHz to work 2 meter amateur (radio becomes 144-168 MHz)

450-512 radio down 10 MHz to work 70 cm amateur (radio becomes 440-502 MHz)

the 902 MHz file I already posted.

I have a file to push a 378-440 (or 406-440) radio up 10 MHz to work 70 cm amateur. I don't recommend it due to hardware issues.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
BTW:

When using SC4/SC5 files, you create a master personality with the frequencies entered on the required offset (IE: 52.525 MHz - 4 MHz is entered as: 48.525 MHz)

You have your SC4/5 file stored on the computer.

In the personality file, under GENERAL OPTIONS, you go to the USE SC4 (or SC5) box at the bottom of the window, click the three-dot-box (.l..) and navigate out to the SC4/5 file you want to use, then click OPEN, the OK. Save the personality file. Program the radio.

If you read-out the radio, it should display the desired frequency you wanted.

It doesn't get any easier than that....

kb4cvn

Silent Key
One further tid bit,

On 900 amateur, there are two common frequency plans in use:

920 outputs with 909 inputs (ARRL Standard)
927 outputs with 902 inputs (more common scheme)

There are two different SC4/SC5 files, one for each plan. THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE !!!

You also cannot have a single SC4/SC5 file which supports both plans, as the radio only supports a six (6) MHz operational window. It is one or the other. Simple limitation of the radio's hardware...

Status
Not open for further replies.