Can't get Regency VHF to scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadetklapp

I've got a Regency VHF programmable that won't scan. With the mic hook grounded the unit still acts like it's "off hook." Any ideas what may cause this? Pushing the scan button of course, still not scanning.

SAR923

Which model of Regency mobile radio do you have? Many of the early Regency slope front models with the flat touch pad had major issues with the contacts under the overlay failing. Just to confirm this is your problem. ground you your mike hangup button to a good, known ground source and see if it will scan. If so, you mike clip needs to have the ground fixed. If not, you can try reinitializing the radio. I don't remember the exact sequence but it should be in your manual. That will sometimes fix the problem. If that doesn't work, you've probably had a failure in the scan button. If you like tinkering with radios, they can sometimes be fixed but the Regency is now so old that it's really not economical to repair them any longer.

kadetklapp

Thanks Jim,

The radio wouldn't ground on a known good ground source. This was on a base install. I moved it out to it's new assigned location and ran a ground wire from the mic hangup to a ground point I use for other stuff. Worked like a charm. This radio must need a really good ground. It's a Regency RH256 slant face. I love these old radios. I've got a few of them, all but one are dead, fried and gone to slant face heaven. This unit is scuffed up and has a couple diodes out on the LCD display but works pretty well. I just bought a brand new in box RH256 off ebay for $149 and can't wait to get it.

SAR923

Joe,
We used those many moons ago for our search and rescue vehicles and I wasn't impressed by the build quality at all. They literally fell apart within a year. The performed pretty well although they seemed much more prone to intermod than our Kenwoods and Motorolas. The hangup ground issue also occured, mainly because the mike hangup button would get a thin layer of corrosion. You might try a good scrub down with some 91% isopropyl alcohol and see if that does any good. If the 256 is being used only as a base unit, it will just slowly deteriorate instead of fall apart rapidly. :) They were one of the first front panel field programmable mobile rigs though, and that did help us in mutual aid situations.

kadetklapp

Regency was a low end brand in the 80s, but there are still dozens in use in my area today with local FDs and civil defense groups. I know she ain't no fancy Maxtrac, but I still love them. Don't know why. Maybe it's because this line of radios is what originally got me interested in ham and whatnot.

The radios do disintigrate over time, but all the ones I've seen that do have had tons of use. The M400 scanners I've had are junk, pure crap. They crap the bed if you look at them cross eyed....

Status
Not open for further replies.