Can't get to work - Need tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

Hello;

Still working on maping out a LTR system in the Pocono area...

I believe all the frequencies are accounted for but having problems since the numbers on the TGID's are messed up..

463.8875 LCN 01 TGID 0-01-100 Cab Company - Base
TGID 0-01-101 Cab Company - Cab

463.9125 LCN 02

463.3375 LCN 03 TGID 1-03-050 Cab Company - Base
TGID 1-03-051 Cab Company - Cab

Its both the same company just different names, Pocono Cab Company. My thought is with the program wrong and having the 1 in front its not going to work. Have a few systems like that and they mess everything up. Just curious if that may be the case or if someone can look me in another direction?

Thanks
Steve

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
One problem with LTR system is that the companies that run them:

a. often have multiple licenses
b. often have multiple transmitter locations
c. often mix/match frequencies to whatever sites then them, disregarding what license says
d. sometimes even add frequencies to their system that they aren't specifically licensed for

This makes it very tricky to map LTR systems.

463.8875 and 463.9125 are licensed to a Tannersville site and 463.3375 is licensed to a Stroudsburg site. Indusstrial Electronics may be using all of those frequencies at one location, or they may be using them at two separate sites. They may be using those frequencies along with frequencies from one of htier other licensed sites. It's always difficult to tell.

And if you have verified that 463.8875 is LCN1, 463.9125 is LCN2 and 463.3375 is LCN3, that doesn't necessarily mean that they all belong to one site location; conversely, it doesn't mean that they don't belong to one individual site.

The talkgroups you list make sense. Since this is an LTR system, all of the talkgroups are going to be in the form of x-xx-xxx. And, a talkgroup of 1-03-051 just means its in area 1 (one LTR system), home repeater is on LCN3 (03), and talkgroup 051.

It can make sense, if 461.8875 and 463.9125 belong to one site and 463.3375 belong to another site, for you to hear the same cab company on LCN1 463.8875 (belonging to one site) and a comletely different "talkgroup" of 1-03-051 on LCN3 463.3375 (if 463.3375 is actually another site). Around here I have a similar system that does this. They have two sites covering the county. On one site an ambulance agency is in 0-01-036, and on another site that same ambulance agency is on 1-01-004 (completely different LCN/freq/site).

If you are absolutely sure that you are hearing the _same_ cab company on 463.8875 LCN1, 01-01-101 as well as hearing them on 463.3375 LCN3, 1-03-051, it may just be that Industrial Electronics follows their FCC license pretty closely - and if that is the case, 463.8875 / 463.9125 may be one LTR system and 463.3375 may be another [single-channel] LTR system, one being in Stroudsburg and one being in Tannersville.

I don't envy you having to figure out all of the details. But, then again, that's half the fun - you have to do a lot of sleuthing.

Good luck!

Mike

Steveradio

I noticed in my area we have a system named Conway which is owned/operated by Industrial Electronics in Scranton, Pa. they are also mixed with Industrial Communications in Easton, Pa. I was told that these systems are connected together but not really sure how?

Thats the fun of scanning and to be honest, I'm just getting into the LTRs the last year or two. I did figure 3 of the systems out in the Lehigh Valley but the Pocono area is a challange but glad to see radios are still used heavy.

I will keep working on it, eventually it will get figured out..

Thanks, just have a hard time putting together when they use 1-01-*** for the first number which is often in my areas.

Steve

RayAir

I noticed in my area we have a system named Conway which is owned/operated by Industrial Electronics in Scranton, Pa. they are also mixed with Industrial Communications in Easton, Pa. I was told that these systems are connected together but not really sure how?

Thats the fun of scanning and to be honest, I'm just getting into the LTRs the last year or two. I did figure 3 of the systems out in the Lehigh Valley but the Pocono area is a challange but glad to see radios are still used heavy.

I will keep working on it, eventually it will get figured out..

Thanks, just have a hard time putting together when they use 1-01-*** for the first number which is often in my areas.

Steve
Use a scanner that has auto-LTR so you don't have to put them in LCN order. If it is a large system and there is no accurate data on channel order you can save yourself the hassle of spending hours trying to map it out. Unless, you're up for it, just go with an auto-LTR scanner. As long as it is not passport or multi-net you can track it.

Status
Not open for further replies.