Can't hear Chandler on RWC with new PSR-800?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonick808

Greetings all,

New to the site, new to Scanning (in it's current form anyway, I used to scan as a kid in the mid seventies to mid eighties)

Got my ham ticket a a couple years ago (de KE7VZW ;)

So, I got interested in scanning again with all the waves flying through the air over here.

I Picked up a PSR-800, and I have lay knowledge of the scanner and the new trunking /digital systems, and that's probably a generous estimate of my knowledge. I do know that I've used the GRE software scanlists to get all of the RWC talk groups programmed in, and I can hear quite a bit with just the stock rubber ducky. In fact, as a Chandler Resident, pretty much the only Police and Fire dept i CAN'T hear is chandler. ??

Been 3 days now and I see SPD, Pinal Sheriff, MCSO, Mesa on their Topaz, all kinds of stuff is coming in great, but nary a PEEP from the chandler talk groups. The RR database and PSR data seem identical.

Law Dispatch, Law Tac, Law talk, All enabled, sitting right on the intersection of Ray and Dobson, and nothing Chandler to be heard!

I'm confused, any thoughts ?

Sorry so wordy. Glad to be aboard :)

de
KE7VZW

InlandAZ

Interesting, I'm about 2 miles west of you on Chandler and Rural. I hear Chandler and Tempe just fine on my 197, but my 106 frequently fails to receive them (in spite of just having the unit realigned). Both scanners are deaf to SPD and Mesa.

Digital blows -

Have you checked to see if the scanlist is enabled for Chandler and that it's set to P25 Auto?

sonick808

Thank you kindly for the help :) I have double checked that everything is setup as it should be, and is enabled and being scanned properly. I'm starting to notice that everything i pick up seems to have an antenna within 1.5 miles in the direction of my closest window, and I only have the stock rubber ducky for now. Currently, many of the TOPAZ calls sound like alien technology, but I know that's due to poor reception.

I'm picking up a D130J at Ham Radio Outlet here in a couple weeks, maybe that will do the trick

Even with all the stuff I've learned as a ham for the last couple years and all it's trappings, I'm surprised at how in-depth scanning can be. So, I'll accept it as a challenge ;)

Will update if this discone helps in a couple weeks.....

Bretbb1

Same problem, any solutions?

I just bought my PSR-800 a few days ago. And I am experienceing the same problem. I live in Chandler and seem to be unable to hear Chandler PD. MCSO comes in clear as a bell. What gives?

sonick808

Well I am sorry to hear you are having the same problem :(

The only silver lining is that I know I am not crazy.

Since i last posted, I put a d130j discone up at 20feet , fed with 25 feet of times microwave lmr240, with an unimpeded view of chandler and tower sites from ray@dobson facing west. East is impeded by building.

Even with that antenna, I cannot hear chandler, I can pickup West MCSO and many other institutions quite far away from me, but chandler is no go.

I created a list with every single chandler entity listed on the RWC............ total silence. I am STUMPED

I suspect the RWC data is dated. I don't have the experience on ferreting out groups in a trunk, so I'll have to wait until someone sheds light on this. A couple years ago I heard them on FM simplex, but no more.

Anyone ? Chandler, AZ ?

sonick808

karldotcom:

Great move to check chandler pd, I should've done that.

Now, after reviewing, it looks like simulcast C (chandler) on the RWC has all four frequencies covered, and the only TGID i see missing is 2475 for the Explorers.

Patrol A, B, and C as well as Metro are all configured correctly.

What exactly do you see missing ?

I am a P25/trunking neophyte, but from what I can reference it seems everything is set properly in the current RR db. (as I see from the GRE app). Not sure if they've augmented.

EDIT: When you say every frequency, are you saying i should add EVERY frequency in mhZ from that document and add it to simulcast C, just to make sure i've cast the widest net ?

sonick808

here's another fellow that can't hear chandler with a pro-197 (recently)

http://forums.radioreference.com/ar...n-forum/213752-chandler-police-frequency.html

either something is misconfigured, or none of us are getting proper reception; see talk of simulcast receiving difficulties in that thread i posted.

I can't imagine living in chandler, having a discone at 20 feet, pulling in nearly everything BUT..... doesn't make sense. Grr.

karldotcom

I meant all the channels listed for Simulcast C on RR

Simulcast C: Tempe/Chandler Maricopa 856.73750 857.21250 857.98750 858.98750 867.13750 867.16250 867.20000c
867.36250 867.45000 867.65000 867.66250 867.86250 867.97500c 868.07500
868.13750 868.22500 868.25000 868.28750 868.37500 868.42500 868.47500

here is another problem thread....

http://forums.radioreference.com/ar...forum/212128-chandler-pd-rwc.html#post1541634

maybe the majority of the TGs are encrypted now?

Last edited:

sonick808

karldotcom,

Thanks again for taking your time to reply .

I've double checked in my GRE app, and Simulcast C is equipped with every one of those channels, and has been since I first posted. I double checked to make sure. If I tune my HT (TH-F6A) to these frequencies, there's plenty of p25 to be sure, but the chandler PD is not picking up.

It can only be a location/reception issue at this point I would think.

Next metric: driving around to various spots with the scanner to test.

EDIT: If they were encrypted, I think the psr-800 would still pick it up, but show "E" in the display. So far, silence...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.