cant hear city/co 800 freqs on pro-83

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabyjan2291

got a new pro-83 and i entered freqs i have on my rs pro 2040 well none of the 800 play,everything else is fine.

i turned off all banks except bank 1 still nothing.it is as if the first 8 channels are not there. what have i done wrong? they are not coming in. help

timmer

Make sure they are not locked out, first of all. Secondly, you may have to replace the rubber duck antenna with an 800mhz antenna. The RS 800 duck is so-so, the Antennex 800 duck from scannermaster is the best, as far as I know. It will bring in 800mhz freq,s loud and clear. www.scannermaster.com

gabyjan2291

timmer. just got back from our radio shack. horrible experience, wouldnt wish it on anyone. went in there all happy and told the person that i need an 800mhz antenna.cause i couldnt hear my 800s. he said he wasnt familiar with the pro-83 so i brought mine out of my bag. and it started. he said that was not a tracker, and i couldnt get 800s. i told him that i got them on my pro-2040 according to him i wasnt getting it all.

when i got home i called the people that handle law enforcement communications here and asked them about it. the system is trunked but if the radio had the 800s on it i should be able to hear it, just like the old pro 2040.

the radio shack person said that he was not going to sell me an 800 antenna because i would just be wasting my money. and he didnt he sold me a telescoping antenna for portable scanners and walkie talkies. what i think is that for some reason the 800 bank is not there or not available for some reason. digustedly jan

gabyjan2291

y'll i called radio shack and they referred me to y'll rr,problem was that i didnt have primary channels, and i got from radio referrence and my 800s are working. you are such a good board. im so happy. now im going to take that antenna back to radio shack,hehehe and my scanner that is not supposed to pick up the 800s.
viciously jan

n4voxgill

Silent Key
The Pro83 is a fun little scanner. The downside of it is that it is not a trunk tracking scanner. You can pick up 800 MHz frequencies, but you can't program in trunk systems, nor can you enter talk groups. A busy trunked system would be very difficult to listen to with a non trunktracking scanner like the Pro83. If you want to try you will have to keep locking out the control channels as you will not hear voices just buzzing sounds. It is not a good scanner for the motorola system in tifton.

timmer

Yeah, unfortunately, some of the radio shack personnel are not to knowledgeable in certain areas. I think some of them know cell phones and batteries, and that's about it. Glad you got it straightened out.

VintageJon

I've looked for your location and can't find it. Where Are you?
If you are trying to listen to APCO-25 digital system, (that is 600 MHz), you may be SOL with the 83, if that's what they are using.

73's,
Jon

gabyjan2291

vintage john, im in tifton,ga and the system(according to the rr database) is motorola type II smart zone. the system voice is analog &apco 25 common air interface.
ive been with the city/county since they went to the 800mhz(first day had jail break) and i have never had any trouble hearing anything on the pro-2040(which was my only scanner until recently when i got the pro-83).

nexus

HELLO!

The PRO-83 IS NOT a trunktracking scanner. If you want to monitor a trunked system you'll need either the PRO-97 if the system is only analog, or a PRO-96 if they have APCO-25. From what I read here, you'd need a PRO-96 because the system you're trying to listen to has analog and APCO-25. Probably law enforcement is using the digital, and fire/public works etc using analog.

BTW the pro-97 is on sale right now for $149

The PRO-83 will tune in the 800mhz band. If you can enter the frequency in, and it accepts it into a memory channel, then the radio will be able to monitor it. BUT your issue could still be the antenna. If it were me I wouldn't LET ANY RADIOSHACK SALESPERSON dictate what I wanted to buy. You should go return that telescoping piece of crap and get the properly tuned 800mhz rubber-duck antenna. Don't tell them what it's for, just walk over to where they have their scanner accessories and take it off the shelf and swap it. That antenna is WAY better than the stock antenna, and better than the telescoping antenna. Chances are the PRO-83 doesn't have as good as a receiver as the 2040. I still think getting a PRO-97 would be better since it's designed specifically for trunking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.