Can't hear local PD on new BCD536HP 😥

wxnut22

so i just got back into scanning recently after several years away from it, and got a BC365CRS and discovered i could no longer receive my local Police. which is Ardmore, OK, in Carter Co. so went online, Youtube etc and learned about this digital stuff, how a lot of departments are going digital (was new to me!), and learned indeed my own local PD went digital recently. so i was like well, ok i'll get a new digital scanner and get a good one, so i got the BCD536HP and still cannot pick up my local PD. Grrrrrrr.. love the scanner though, and can get ems, fire, sheriff, all that stuff, just no local police. so is there some settings in the menu i need to go into and adjust to receive my PD? i've got to be missing something. looked on YT, everywhere, but no luck there addressing this specific issue. any help getting me going here really be appreciated! thanks

wxnut22

BTW, have updated firmware and master database via Sentinel (still no luck though)

toad99

Premium Subscriber
According to the database, the only digital channel is the Ardmore PD dispatch. The only thing I can think of to try is to set the modulation to auto and the audio option to search for this one channel. There is no reason that the 536 wouldn't pick up this channel, unless they decided to encrypt.

wxnut22

thanks for the replies! well i ended up hearing my local PD by creating a Fav list, via YT video. and setting the NAC and Audio type etc. still haven't figured out how to edit the preset toad99 (during scanning with Full Database on), it never stops on my local PD while scanning with Full Database on, can only hear them with Fav list on. like i said i'm a noobie when it comes to this digital stuff! but learning a little by little.

Attachments

• Sentinel screenshot.jpg
    Sentinel screenshot.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 29

mc48

Premium Subscriber
Make sure you have the service type custom 1 turned on in the radio and you can also set the audio to digital.
The service type should be Police Dispatch.

toad99

Premium Subscriber
Go ahead and append the rest of the Ardmore channels to your Carter County favorite list, as well as sheriff and anything else in the database for Carter County you want to hear. You shouldn’t scan with the full database on, just slows everything down too much. A favorite list is much more selective for what you want to hear.
Turn off full database scanning in the profile tab under scan selection.

The more that you try to scan, the greater the chance you’ll miss something.
You can assign quick keys to favorite lists so you can select or deselect them for scanning.

The service type for the Ardmore PD should be “law dispatch“, not custom 1. Make sure that the service types you want to hear are enabled. That stuff is set up in the profile tab in sentinel, as well as the front panel of the radio.
And make sure any favorite lists are set to download and monitor in the profile section.

Last edited:

wxnut22

just got in, thanks a bunch, got it working! and going into Sentinel now, setup the rest of the PD stuff, sheriff etc. you guys were a big help! slowly learning it though, thanks again, i'll come back if i have any other issues ☮

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I set my 436HP and SDS 100 like an old bank scanner.

You get your Favorites made, then you do your profile. Make sure you check all of the boxes for each Favorite in the quick keys. Also, check that the various "service types" are checked as well. Tip: You can turn off/on all of the quick keys and/or service types by right clicking. It will show an all or none choice.

When you load the Favorites into your radio, you can see them. For instance, I will name a Favorite like this: [02] Texas DPS. This way, I can toggle these on/off. Enjoy the radio. I have monitored that county. Also, if you want to hear OHP, you will need to program the OKWIN P25. There are Tribal PD and other interesting things in your area. If you like Skywarn, there are tons of frequencies. It has been some time since I went that route. I would certainly get on the Oklahoma State forum and see if OKWIN 25 is worth programming.

I believe OKWIN P25 follows the IH35 and IH44 corridor. I would consider this system to be seamless along this route.

Good luck, you picked a great radio!

Last edited:

toad99

Premium Subscriber
The SDS/x36 scanners have a pretty steep learning curve. I think it's important to learn Sentinel before trying to manipulate the radio itself. The setup in Sentinel controls everything the radio does when turned on.
The profile tab is a very important part of Sentinel. Make sure your understand the Scan Selection, Service Types, and Quick Keys Status sections, as these mess a lot of users up.

Your favorite lists are common to all profiles you set up. If you had a stack of 10 536 scanners, they would all use the same favorite lists, but you can have separate profiles for each scanner.

When you update the master database, this will not affect your favorite lists. It's up to you to transfer updates to your favorite lists.

If you add the OKWIN system to your scanner to monitor the OHP or anything else around Ardmore that you want to hear on the state system, be aware that when adding from the database that ALL of the OKWIN sites will be added for scanning. Having the scanner test all of the sites while scanning just slows it down, so delete (or avoid) all the sites that are not within range of your location. In your case, just monitor the Ardmore site. You would need to edit the favorite list in order to do this. If you travel around, you would need to have the sites enabled for the areas where you will be.

wxnut22

The SDS/x36 scanners have a pretty steep learning curve. I think it's important to learn Sentinel before trying to manipulate the radio itself. The setup in Sentinel controls everything the radio does when turned on.
The profile tab is a very important part of Sentinel. Make sure your understand the Scan Selection, Service Types, and Quick Keys Status sections, as these mess a lot of users up.

Your favorite lists are common to all profiles you set up. If you had a stack of 10 536 scanners, they would all use the same favorite lists, but you can have separate profiles for each scanner.

When you update the master database, this will not affect your favorite lists. It's up to you to transfer updates to your favorite lists.

If you add the OKWIN system to your scanner to monitor the OHP or anything else around Ardmore that you want to hear on the state system, be aware that when adding from the database that ALL of the OKWIN sites will be added for scanning. Having the scanner test all of the sites while scanning just slows it down, so delete (or avoid) all the sites that are not within range of your location. In your case, just monitor the Ardmore site. You would need to edit the favorite list in order to do this. If you travel around, you would need to have the sites enabled for the areas where you will be.
thank you, some great information!