Can't hear my local railroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithJoseph

Still working on my amateur radio callsign.
I haven't heard my local railroad key up in awhile.. Abilene,tx area..did they go to nxdn

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
It could just be a reception problem, usually the dispatches are using a tall tower to broadcast, the crews are on the ground, possibly transmitting with less power as well.

What kind of antenna are you using?

I have also seen in some areas where the dispatcher and crew are on two different AAR channels. Does your scanner have the ability to scan the entire railband? I programmed all 97 AAR channels into one of my handheld scanners so I can scan in areas when I'm not sure what channels are being used.

Dark_Side

buy a dual band full wave
BNC or SMA antenna
! not car but handheld !
for you handheld scanner
it will inprove the Signal
also look for a old grecom amp
Rail Road is mostly simplex

KenFL9

Premium Subscriber
There has not been any switch to digital. The UP Baird Sub uses 160.410 from clyde east to Fort Worth and 160.800 from Clyde through Abilene west to Pecos, both simplex. The BNSF Lampassas Sub uses 160.935 simplex from Temple to Sweetwater.

KeithJoseph

Still working on my amateur radio callsign.
It could just be a reception problem, usually the dispatches are using a tall tower to broadcast, the crews are on the ground, possibly transmitting with less power as well.

What kind of antenna are you using?

I have also seen in some areas where the dispatcher and crew are on two different AAR channels. Does your scanner have the ability to scan the entire railband? I programmed all 97 AAR channels into one of my handheld scanners so I can scan in areas when I'm not sure what channels are being used.
It's a discone antenna and no I can't get the nxdn freq but everything else yes

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
A discone will probably do decent for the railband, but a single band antenna tuned for the railband might help some.

How high is your antenna? How long is the coax run and why type is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.