Cant hear NJSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrb6940

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,

Im the recent owner of a 396T. I used the ARC software and RR to program this scanner and I cant hear anything from the NJSP system......can anyone help? Im in Riverside, Burlington County.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
I believe you are in troop C, see if you can find there active control channel [should be one of the ones you programed in] and see if there is any data noise. I am in troop A so I can't tell you what the active control channel for there is today.

lt307

Premium Subscriber
Njsp

I have a 246T and programmed in all of the NJSP control channels into one quick set key using the radio reference information and ARC246. I travel from North to South Jersey a lot and was having problems picking up the Troop A (South Jersey) transmissions but fixed that problem by replacing the stock antenna with a Radio Shack 800 Mhz antenna. Coming North when I get to about Somers Point I can pick up all of the Troop C transmissions and when I get a little further north all of the Troop B transmissions. I guess my point is that the information in Radio Reference is very accurate and if you radio is receiving the control channels for the various troops you should be able to hear the NJSP. I know someone who also has a 396T and they changed antennas from the stock 396T antenna to the Radio Shack 800 Mhz and now receives everything. The who key is to be able to receive the control channels.

jrb6940

Premium Subscriber
Gentlemen,

Thank you for responding. I will pick up the better antenna tomorrow. I put a through the glass antenna on my truck, but sadly didnt notice any improved reception. I am all too familiar with the SP's poor radio coverage, I suspect that is the culprit.

Thanks again for the advice!

Jeff

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I also think reception is the culprit. Riverside, the elevation is kinda low, plus you're right in a dead spot between the Berlin tower and the Bordentown tower. Even with the 800 Mhz antenna I get those dead spots. Particularly on the NJ Turnpike and 295 in Mt. Laurel and Westampton, which is not very far from you.
:D The other day I heard a NJSP trooper on 295 at MM 40something in Mt. Laurel. He was trying to give a tag to dispatch and he had to repeat it about 5 times because his radio kept cutting out. So I know I'm not the only one who notices the dead spots.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
BTW FYI the current (it usually is) Control Channel for Troop C is 860.7125. See if you can just punch in that freq. manually and monitor it. Go to the highest point in your dwelling or outside and see if you hear anything.

jrb6940

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I can hear better when I get to Bridgeboro & 130 but even then its rough. Im going to put a discone up at the house, hope that helps.

policefreak, where are you in Jersey?

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Berlin. Way down the other end of 73 by Rt. 30. So from my house the NJSP tower is a mere mile. In fact, I can pick it up on my BCD396T even without an antenna certain parts of the house. But traveling in different parts of jersey I notice how difficult it is to pick up. I forgot to ask a very important question, do you live within sight of a cellphone tower? Those things are SIGNAL KILLERS!! In my very humble opinion I think they should put another tower in the Mt. Laurel area off the 295 (You would even be able to hear that one!). I also think they should have another tower in Deptford Twp off of 42/295/55. It always cuts out as you go over by the mall and 42 because there are cellphone towers there.
Anyway, hope that antenna works out for you.

Last edited:

jrb6940

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help. What they really need to do is get something new, instead of upgrading a system that is outdated. Just my opinion.

Are you a ham? You do anything on 2m?

-Jeff

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I'm not a ham. But somebody on here surely is. did you visit the ham forum? If you have a question regarding the jersey area maybe you could post another thread here too.
BTW I have to agree with you about the NJSP coverage. I hate to say it but someday the you know what is going to hit the fan when there is a major incident in a coverage deadspot and officers cannot communicate properly with central dispatch. At this point its a good thing they're not digital. Its not really the system thats out of date and they seem to have an adequate number of frequencies, but they need to fill in the numerous coverage gaps.

Last edited:

stvnd53

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
With grant $$$$ from Homeland security..a new NJSP system would be cheeper then most people think.If NJSP went digital w/encry. the system would pay for it self in 2-3 years.Parts would still be available for years to come.And going back to GE would be the 1st.step in the rite direction.

radiomanNJ1

I wonder why you think it's cheaper to put up a "new" system? With rebanding the Nextel cellphone interference should be gone. All freqs. that are in the 866-868 range will shift down 15mhz. That is nationwide. Do you hear the troopers going repeat, I can't hear you? The system is not designed for scanner users. I like Mr. Smart stvnd53 encouraging encryption. How would it pay for itself in 2 or 3 years? If you make a statement like that please back it up. The upgrades have been done from type 1 to type 2 now. What parts are not available? Obviously the person is smoking mushrooms when he says go back to GE. GE has not been in the radio business for many years and does not even make toasters anymore. TYCO (toys) Ma-Comm is the current for now company that has such a poor track record it's a joke. BTW, if you want to buy the company it's for sale and does not make money for TYCO. They might even saddle you with the junk of Open Sky for grins and giggles.

ampulman

I wonder why you think it's cheaper to put up a "new" system? With rebanding the Nextel cellphone interference should be gone. All freqs. that are in the 866-868 range will shift down 15mhz. That is nationwide. Do you hear the troopers going repeat, I can't hear you? The system is not designed for scanner users. I like Mr. Smart stvnd53 encouraging encryption. How would it pay for itself in 2 or 3 years? If you make a statement like that please back it up. The upgrades have been done from type 1 to type 2 now. What parts are not available? Obviously the person is smoking mushrooms when he says go back to GE. GE has not been in the radio business for many years and does not even make toasters anymore. TYCO (toys) Ma-Comm is the current for now company that has such a poor track record it's a joke. BTW, if you want to buy the company it's for sale and does not make money for TYCO. They might even saddle you with the junk of Open Sky for grins and giggles.

I agree, fully, and have to say while monitoring the Berlin Tower (listen to Trp A and occasionally, C), rarely do I hear a garbled transmission, and when asked to repeat by dispatch, it comes in loud and clear.AM

Highpockets

Attacking someones opinion here is one thing, but making comments about the person, I feel is in poor taste. Stvnd53 has helped me behind the scenes with diferent problems I've come across relating to radio/scanners and the info he has given me has be very accurate.

radiomanNJ1

Respect is earned not given. Now that part is out of the way.
You scanner heads have respect for a guy who is encouraging encryption?
Apparently you did not read his post.

I really am not concerned about what some one did "behind" the scenes what ever that means. It does not help the thread. Sharing here is what helps not private emails with secret tgs or freqs.
This person obviously has reason to wish Ma-Comm crap on someone and then to encourage encryption.

Perhaps if you guys want encryption then we will should encourage it and write our legislators encouraging it so that we have no more hobby. If that is what you want like this guy suggested then lets go for it. If however you want to hold onto your hobby then let him know how you feel.

NJSP has an uptodate system. Parts are available and it has been upgraded several times.
Let's roll with that Ma-Comm Tinker toy open sky crap that does not work period.

Highpockets

Respect is earned not given. Now that part is out of the way.
You scanner heads have respect for a guy who is encouraging encryption?
Apparently you did not read his post.

I really am not concerned about what some one did "behind" the scenes what ever that means. It does not help the thread. Sharing here is what helps not private emails with secret tgs or freqs.
This person obviously has reason to wish Ma-Comm crap on someone and then to encourage encryption.

Perhaps if you guys want encryption then we will should encourage it and write our legislators encouraging it so that we have no more hobby. If that is what you want like this guy suggested then lets go for it. If however you want to hold onto your hobby then let him knowhow you feel.

NJSP has an uptodate system. Parts are available and it has been upgraded several times.
Let's roll with that Ma-Comm Tinker toy open sky crap that does not work period.

Well, talking about respect, I don't think you'll get much of that here, when you leave comments about other users you most likely don't even know. Digital and encryption are here to stay, and none of us can do anything about it, the salesman are pushing it and the people in charge are buying it.

This will be my last comment in regards to this discussion, I'm looking forward in the future to exchange views with you, pro and con, and because I don't know you, or anything about you, my comments will be directed at the subject matter, not at you as a person.

radiomanNJ1

The comments that salespersons are pushing it is true. The encouraging of encryption by a hobbist is a terrible thing. Digital is here to stay.
Being a tool for Ma-Comm is a poor choice and that is my opinion.

Being foolish in a post and making statements that are either untrue or designed to just be stupid certainly will not earn respect.

stvnd53

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
RMNJ1..I feel your pain !Remember what they told you at the meeting last night...Don't drink,and go to meetings.Hopefully after your 90 in 90...you will see that this is just a site for radio listenning.Not a site that effects World Peace! Let go ...let God.And one day you'll Roll with the men and bepart of this site and not just a newbie know it all..
But for the Grace of God..Their go I
MUCH Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.