Cant hear some repeaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azgunguy

I'm from Phoenix and we have a couple linked systems. One of the systems I have about 5 or so repeaters programmed into my radio. Only 1 of the repeaters I can hear traffic on. The others, I can key up and hit the repeaters but I cant hear anything? My radio shows its receiving a signal, but no audio comes out. Any ideas? They're all the same PL tone.

Azgunguy

Sounds like your PL tone is set wrong.

Check with the system owner and confirm the PL tones that the individual repeaters transmit.
I've cross referenced various repeater databases and the official website for the linked system and they all have the same PL tone.

900mhz

Do you have CTCSS enabled?? Perhaps, the repeaters you cannot hear are not transmitting a PL.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The references may be wrong.
The system owner could have changed tones.

But from what you describe, it's your RX PL/DPL that isn't matching what the repeater is transmitting.

That gives you two options,
1. Set your RX side to carrier squelch.
2. Contact the system owner and confirm directly that you have the correct tones.

The "shows it's receiving a signal but no audio comes out" means that something in your radio is keeping the traffic from passing. Thats almost always incorrect PL.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Do you have CTCSS enabled?? Perhaps, the repeaters you cannot hear are not transmitting a PL.

I thin he and others may not have understood what you are probably correctly implying. He probably has set for CTCSS on his receive side and the repeater (like many) does not repeat the PL on when it transmits. This is why many of us only set PL for our transmit and not receive when talking to repeaters.

900mhz

I thin he and others may not have understood what you are probably correctly implying. He probably has set for CTCSS on his receive side and the repeater (like many) does not repeat the PL on when it transmits. This is why many of us only set PL for our transmit and not receive when talking to repeaters.
exactly, carrier squelch for RX. Not familiar with his radio, but not sure if it has a monitor button...that would be one way to verify.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
exactly, carrier squelch for RX. Not familiar with his radio, but not sure if it has a monitor button...that would be one way to verify.

It would need to be programmed to one of the available keys.

There's more info needed here. Sharing the system you are trying to connect to would allow us to give you an answer.
Posting a screen shot of the "Zone Information" screen would allow us to compare the programming to what the repeater system is looking for.

As has been said a few times, you either have a RX QT/PL tone assigned to the channels and the repeater is not transmitting one, or you have the wrong tone.
Either way, set each of the channels so the QT/DQT Dec field is "NONE" and you'll probably find it works.

robertwbob

KE0WRU
Squelch tone on or off? Go back read the numbers again and make sure you got tone set right and tone squelch set to what they have repeaters set at.
Give us the frequincys ,pl tones offset + ,-, all you got in them,sounds like you got 1 setting off

SPL15

I like to modulate

Most likely the case. Surprising how many of the online databases, and sometimes even the webpage for the repeater system, list PL tones for receive that are not correct & assume that transmit tone / code automagically gets sent out of the repeater... For amateur radio, I always disable the receive tone or code, unless there is legit reason to add it due to dual purposing of the repeater system for different types of traffic, where I also add a separate memory for the repeater for no tone / code.

Easy enough to confirm, simply disable receive tone / code...

ecps92

Keep in mind to, some repeaters do not transmit PL on hang-time or other are short, to prevent the ker-chunkers
Most likely the case. Surprising how many of the online databases, and sometimes even the webpage for the repeater system, list PL tones for receive that are not correct & assume that transmit tone / code automagically gets sent out of the repeater... For amateur radio, I always disable the receive tone or code, unless there is legit reason to add it due to dual purposing of the repeater system for different types of traffic, where I also add a separate memory for the repeater for no tone / code.

Easy enough to confirm, simply disable receive tone / code...

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Being a NX radio is it NXDN and he does not have the talkgroup info for the groups talking? 5 repeaters and a NX radio also may end up being a 5 channel trunking system with multiple user talkgroups he does not have rights to.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Being a NX radio is it NXDN and he does not have the talkgroup info for the groups talking? 5 repeaters and a NX radio also may end up being a 5 channel trunking system with multiple user talkgroups he does not have rights to.

Well, he's talking about PL tones, and PL tones are not used on NXDN. If it was a trunked system, he wouldn't hear any traffic if he didn't have a system key, and he did say he can hear one of the repeaters.

I suspect the OP has switched it to carrier squelch and it's working now.

Status
Not open for further replies.