Can't Hear Ventura CHP

simiglen

Hi All

I have a BCD436HP. I have CHP programmed using Sentinel. I live right on the border of LA County and Ventura County. I have both areas programmed in, but can only hear LA County. I "think" i have looked through all the settings and they look the same with the exception of the frequencies. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• LA - Copy.png
    LA - Copy.png
    324.3 KB · Views: 28
  • la 2.png
    la 2.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 29
  • ventura - Copy.png
    ventura - Copy.png
    130.6 KB · Views: 24
  • ventura 2 - Copy.png
    ventura 2 - Copy.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 30

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
I live in the Western SFV and can copy the "Purple" from my location. Obviously, I can copy Teal, Tan, Brown and Black.
An old Radio Shack VHF-high 1/4 wave ground plane antenna at 20 feet with a BCD996P2.

Last edited:

simiglen

I live in the Western SFV and can copy the "Purple" from my location. Obviously, I can copy Teal, Tan, Brown and Black.
An old Radio Shack VHF-high 1/4 wave ground plane antenna at 20 feet with a BCD996P2.
I know it is not an antenna issue as I can hear teal. I believe it is a programming issue.

FrensicPic

Premium Subscriber
Here is CHP within my "Area" group which also includes Ventura Co Fire and Sheriff, LA Co Fire.
I normally only scan my "Local" group which only includes TEAL as well as LAPD, LAFD, Metrolink, etc.
Screenshot 2024-04-01 080428.png

officer_415

Database Admin
I know it is not an antenna issue as I can hear teal. I believe it is a programming issue.

It could be the location of the transmitters. If you're using the stock antenna you will need pretty much unobstructed line of sight. And if you're indoors it will also significantly degrade reception.

simiglen

It could be the location of the transmitters. If you're using the stock antenna you will need pretty much unobstructed line of sight. And if you're indoors it will also significantly degrade reception.
I can hear teal, but not purple. I actually live in purples area. Does that make sense?

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Try removing the CTCSS from the channel. It might make a difference. I have all my CHP frequencies set for tone search and not for tone filtering. I pick up the CHP from mountain tops 65 miles away. I have a GRE-600, which works well for rural areas, which is where I live. Oh, and I have a rooftop discone antenna with LMR-400 coax. .

officer_415

Database Admin
I can hear teal, but not purple. I actually live in purples area. Does that make sense?

It all depends on which transmitter they're using. Based on FCC license data, it looks like the Teal has transmitters at Oat Mountain, Castro Peak, and Rolling Hills.

The Purple has transmitters at Oat Mountain, Red Mountain, South Mountain, Castro Peak, Geary Hill, Torrey Hill, Sisar Canyon, and Laguna Peak.

So it's possible you're hearing the Teal on Oat Mountain, and the Purple is using another transmitter site that you can't hear.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
Hi All

I have a BCD436HP. I have CHP programmed using Sentinel. I live right on the border of LA County and Ventura County. I have both areas programmed in, but can only hear LA County. I "think" i have looked through all the settings and they look the same with the exception of the frequencies. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!
45.4 is your best bet. I am in Thousand Oaks all the time and still can barely hear their radio traffic. The only time I pick anything up well is when they broadcast/select Oat Mountain then it is booming.

officer_415

Database Admin
45.4 is your best bet. I am in Thousand Oaks all the time and still can barely hear their radio traffic. The only time I pick anything up well is when they broadcast/select Oat Mountain then it is booming.

Do they broadcast on both 42.4 and 45.4?

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
Do they broadcast on both 42.4 and 45.4?
They use 42.4 for Ventura city area units, and 45.4 for Simi, Moorpark, Thousand Oaks, etc... but they are both transmitting at same time from what I can tell. Depending if units are on Purple 1 or Purple 2 is what the field units transmit on