cant hear

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Having trouble getting to hear does not same to be scanning the dept. are moving but no sound...any thoughts ?
Truckparts,
Welcome to RadioReference.

We need more specific information in order for someone to help you. What scanner are you using? Which system are you trying to hear, MARCS-IP? Did you program by hand, through the scanner keyboard? Or use software. If Software, which program?

Truckparts

Premium Subscriber
Steve Home patrol 1 download the program from Uniden I can see it scanning it stops but no sound it will not take my zip code so I used the full database. any help would help out .

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Steve Home patrol 1 download the program from Uniden I can see it scanning it stops but no sound it will not take my zip code so I used the full database. any help would help out .
Double check the "zip code" you are entering. Make sure it is a "street address" zip code, not one used for a specific building, company, or PO boxes. You could also try either a neighboring zip code, or program by city name.

Another possibility is "Auto Locate".
On the HP-1, press Main Menu
Then select "Set Your Location".
From the next sub-menu, select Auto Locate.

For the Home Patrol series scanners (HP-1, HP-2, 436HP & 536HP), the most common issue of nothing heard usually comes from Service Types and/or range set incorrectly. In your Profile, in Sentinel, make sure that all the desired types are enabled. By default, initially only 'Dispatch' is enabled (Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, etc). Also enable the "Talk" and "Tac" types for Law, Fire, EMS, & Multi-Dispatch.

Did you buy the scanner new? Which version of Sentinel are you showing? In Sentinel, select "Help", then on the drop-down menu, click "About". Current version is 2.03 (revision 2). Assuming that you have the current Sentinel, what is the database showing to be? Look in the lower left corner of the main Sentinel window. The current database is 2/19/2017. If you show something older than that, update the database in Sentinel, then connect the scanner to your PC & update the radio as well. To check which version the database on the scanner is, first press Main Menu.
Then select Advanced Menu
Use the down arrow on the lower right side to access the second page of this menu.
Select Version Information
That will tell you the firmware version of the scanner, and the Database Version date. If you have a fairly old database in the scanner, it likely would not have the latest MARCS-IP data, and possibly why the scanner appears to stop, with no sound.

From the Main Menu, you can also select Weather Mode. Then, select 'Monitor NOAA Weather'. Use the arrows to select the weather-radio frequency serving your area, and see if you can hear the broadcast.

Truckparts

Premium Subscriber
Steve I have the database installed 02/19/2017 firmware version 2.06 and can hear the weather but still no scanning hearing. I can see in the 1st box that it is scanning and holding but no sound. What other things should I be looking at to get sound. I have tried my zip code....auto locate....and enter city....none of the 3 works to bring sound....Getting Frustrated !!! Any Help ?

Bob132

Steve I have the database installed 02/19/2017 firmware version 2.06 and can hear the weather but still no scanning hearing. I can see in the 1st box that it is scanning and holding but no sound. What other things should I be looking at to get sound. I have tried my zip code....auto locate....and enter city....none of the 3 works to bring sound....Getting Frustrated !!! Any Help ?
Have you selected the service types you want to monitor?

Truckparts

Premium Subscriber
Bob I have selected the service types that I want to monitor same thing I get the weather nothing else....any more ideas ?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Bob I have selected the service types that I want to monitor same thing I get the weather nothing else....any more ideas ?
Attached is an *.hpe file I threw together for your area.

In order to attach it, I compressed it into a *zip.file. You can open the file with a utility such as WinZip or the free 7-Zip to get to the Columbus.hpe file. Save it to a place you can find it, either your desktop or a downloads folder.

Start Sentinel
Click on File
Then, from the drop-down menu, select 'Import from hpe file'
When importing, you can use a different name if you like for the import.

Once you've imported the Columbus.hpe file, start the Profile Editor. You can get to that from either the drop-down Edit menu, or by clicking on the icon under the 'V' in View that looks like a pencil over a piece of paper.

In the profile editor make sure that you set this favorites list to both download and to monitor. I have location control set as "off" for this list.

Connect your scanner to the pc using the data cable, and select 'Mass Storage' when that message pops up on the scanner.

Click on Write to Home Patrol either from the drop-down menu, or by clicking on the icon under the P in HomePatrol at the top of the screen.

Once you've downloaded that list to the scanner, 'eject' the scanner from the pc by clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media' icon that you should see in the notification area of your task bar, lower right.

Then, disconnect the cable and let it load the file. See if that works, If it does, then you can go back into the Favorites Editor in Sentinel & modify it however you want, deleting out (or marking as Avoid) anything you are not interested in hearing.

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
Better set Location to ON - you have every site in MARCS as well as most TG's

Also some Indiana systems with a 160 mile range !!!

To the OP - did you ever figure out how to set your location/zipcode?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Better set Location to ON - you have every site in MARCS as well as most TG's

Also some Indiana systems with a 160 mile range !!!

To the OP - did you ever figure out how to set your location/zipcode?
You may be right. I created that in Sentinel by using a Columbus zip-code, and then the 'add channels in range' function. And it apparently went bonkers.

phask

Premium Subscriber
You may be right. I created that in Sentinel by using a Columbus zip-code, and then the 'add channels in range' function. And it apparently went bonkers.

Np bonkers - that's just how the DB works. I'm 50 miles away - I get systems in W Va and Va , plus all of MARCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.