Can't I BUILD my own usb data cable for Pro 2055?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I have an old Pro 2055 that I would like to set up for a trunking system or two. I know it is not that hard to manually program, but I don't see why I can't BUILD my own cable....I have a few USB cables stored and can leave the USB jack on but cut other end off and wire/solder to a MONO plug such as in picture. The USB cables have 4 wires in them so it's just a matter of finding out which wires to connect to the mono jack plug. If this is possible the next step would be to find out if I need DRIVERS? I am using Windows 10. Computer is a DELL Optiplex 390. Actually a SERIAL connector would be better since this computer has a 9 pin serial connection (male) on rear. So If I scrounge up a 9 pin serial cable from computer store, keep the serial connector on, snip off other end and wire it to the MON 1/2" jack. The building of the cables is not hard its finding the RIGHT WIRES to use.

Attachments

• 100.JPG
    100.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 3

Station51

Cables are usually available on eBay. I bought mine from Radio Shack over 10 years ago, AND I use win97 software to program my remaining Pro-97 ( I sold both of my 2055's although they were really excellent scanners) MY cable has some box inline that flashes lights during the transfer to the radio. It's USB to 3.5 1/8 in stereo plug.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Do you have the USB Drivers for the device you are building to convert from USB to serial?
Right now I don't have anything. I don't know how to do this. Just shooting from the hip here. I would first prefer to use a serial (9-pin) female connector on a cable, cut whats on the other end off, and WIRE the right wires to a MONO audio plug. I can do the same thing with a USB cable but I am thinking serial would be less issues(?) My computer has a 9 pin serial connection (male). As for drivers I have no clue what to use if I make my own cable.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
If your PC has an old style COM port, a simple cable could be built. If you need it to be USB, and you want to do it for fun; go for it. But if you expect to save a couple of dollars, good luck with that. There are a lot of threads here on RR that with schematics and conversation on this topic.

If you need it to be USB, you'll also need a USB driver on the PC side (to be compatible with programming software out there). The most common method uses an IC from FTDI, and they can supply the driver; but you need their IC. You should also realize the signal levels at the scanner side. Plus the older models such as the one you've quoted use a single wire for both TX & RX.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Cables are usually available on eBay. I bought mine from Radio Shack over 10 years ago, AND I use win97 software to program my remaining Pro-97 ( I sold both of my 2055's although they were really excellent scanners) MY cable has some box inline that flashes lights during the transfer to the radio. It's USB to 3.5 1/8 in stereo plug.
I suppose if it comes to it I can always buy a cable but I like to tinker since I am retired and home bound for a while and have lots of time. I have already downloaded win97 for future use.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
If your PC has an old style COM port, a simple cable could be built. If you need it to be USB, and you want to do it for fun; go for it. But if you expect to save a couple of dollars, good luck with that. There are a lot of threads here on RR that with schematics and conversation on this topic.

If you need it to be USB, you'll also need a USB driver on the PC side (to be compatible with programming software out there). The most common method uses an IC from FTDI, and they can supply the driver; but you need their IC. You should also realize the signal levels at the scanner side. Plus the older models such as the one you've quoted use a single wire for both TX & RX.
OK so if I just BUY the cable, I see them on Amazon for about $29, and I already have a copy of WIN97, what are the drivers I need and where do I get them? This applys to me using USB not serial.

a417

U+0000
ooh look, an FTDI chip. :mad:

He already said he had an RS-232 port on the back, don't need that FTDI doohickey now. Much easier to deal with a real deal hardware serial port.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
ooh look, an FTDI chip. :mad:

He already said he had an RS-232 port on the back, don't need that FTDI doohickey now. Much easier to deal with a real deal hardware serial port.
Hahaha I dont know what that thing in picture is! I DO have one 9 pin male serial port on computer.

a417

U+0000
Hahaha I dont know what that thing in picture is! I DO have one 9 pin male serial port on computer.

gre-rs-prog.png

you only have 3 pins if you're using a 1/8in jack, this is a pretty common schematic for older GRE / RS units (as well as a couple of glucometers).

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
View attachment 84131

you only have 3 pins if you're using a 1/8in jack, this is a pretty common schematic for older GRE / RS units (as well as a couple of glucometers).
OK, great.....making some progress here! I can easily BUILD a cable according to your diagram. BUT......do I need DRIVERS???? Since I am using a real hardware serial port I figure this whole thing should be easy compared to struggling with USB woes. If I need drivers, where, what and how? Also is that a STEREO plug? I thought a MONO plug was needed?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
That "thing" is what converts the computer signal into a signal your radio can understand. I have a Pro 96 and 106, and the cable does require specific drivers, which I downloaded from the Radio Shack website. I have had these radios several years and never found a serial cable for them.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have 3 9 pin serial cables for the PRO96 PRO2096 and older as the newer PRO197 and PRO106 use the newer USB Cable with and with out the adapter. The scanners use SERIAL DATA the USB CABLES have built in circuits to convert USB to SERIAL DATA. It is like SERIAL is ENGLISH and USB is SPANISH and you do not speak SPANISH.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have had these radios several years and never found a serial cable for them.

For your Pro96 anyways, as well as the OP's Pro2055 (and other 2 wire mono plug models):

a417

U+0000
Also is that a STEREO plug? I thought a MONO plug was needed?
They are just using 2 of the 3 contact points on the connector, just not the two I guess most people would expect.
220px-Photo-audiojacks.jpg

You can see them side by side (middle pair) - Mono has (TS) Tip & Shield, and Stereo (TRS) has Tip, Ring & Shield.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
BUT......do I need DRIVERS????
No. The driver is needed when the USB port is used to emulate a COM port. If you use a native COM port, you're good.

Also is that a STEREO plug? I thought a MONO plug was needed?
Let's just answer this way; the PRO-2055 only needs a MONO plug. You certainly can use a stereo plug, but just connect to tip (and ground) and leave the sleeve unconnected. Both Tx & Rx connect to the tip, but you can't short them together. There are lots of threads here on RR which show schematics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.