BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Cant pick anything up digital trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpg178

Just got the 996p2 less an hour ago so I went on proscan and imported my local p25 system: palm Beach County, FL. I occasionnally see the signal strength meter turn on but there is no audio out of it. I tried on a air band frequency and can hear that perfectly fine. Im using the stock antenna that came with it which I know is not ideal but before PBC went digital i could easily pull in the signals on a rubber duck on my old pro-94 so I dont think its the antenna.

cpg178

Is this the system you're trying to monitor?

No, im trying to montior the Palm Beach county p25 system for the Fire Rescue dispatch, i wish i could listen to opensky but thats impossible. I have the broadcastify feed up and I hear things so it is somthing on my end

Chances are you are too far away to receive the control channels.

As a reminder, check the MODE column.

Anything with an "E" is full time encrypted.
Anything with an "e" is part time encrypted.

If you are in range, you'll see the control channel frequency in the display while it's scanning.

If you just see "NFM", you're out of range.

cpg178

Interesting, I know the sheriffs are encrypted so im trying to pickup the Fire Rescue which is un encrpyted. I used to be able to pull in the whole system from inside my house with a rubber duck before they switched to digital and they are on the same frequencies now. Guess I will have to go on a little drive with it in the car and see if I have any reception

cpg178

Good news... went outside with a long extension cord and it works just fine, guess the signal doesnt make it into the house anymore so gonna need an external antenna. Now to figure out why it only displays IDs when receiving and not the talk groups.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Good news... went outside with a long extension cord and it works just fine, guess the signal doesnt make it into the house anymore so gonna need an external antenna. Now to figure out why it only displays IDs when receiving and not the talk groups.
Look at the display when scanning that system. If you see ID Search scrolling across the screen, then you will see 'only TGIDs' as well as ones you have programmed.

ID Scan stops only on talkgroups that are programmed, as long as they are not Avoided (locked out), and are not in a Department that is Avoided. The Service Type would need to be enabled as well. You would see the text tag you entered.

ID Search stops on any active talkgroup, as long as it is not Avoided (you can Avoid (lockout) a talkgroup that is not programmed). If the talkgroup is already programmed, you would see the text tag that is associated with it. If the TGID is NOT programmed, then the 'text tag' would simply be the talkgroup ID (no descriptive text). As the unprogrammed talkgroups are not classified with a Service Type, you would hear any that are active.

For your 996P2, you can toggle between ID Search and ID Scan by pressing the Function key then the Scan key. Do that fairly quickly. The Function key press will not remain active for more than a couple of seconds.

You can also use the menu to edit the system and set ID Scan there. But be sure to change it in your programming file as well; otherwise, the next time you load your file to the scanner, like after addind or changing something, the scanner will go back to ID Search again.

cpg178

Thank you everyone for the help, I ended up throwing an old VHF magmount in the attic (yes, VHF/UHF dual band pulling in 800mhz) and I am pulling the system in perfectly
ID Search stops on any active talkgroup, as long as it is not Avoided (you can Avoid (lockout) a talkgroup that is not programmed). If the talkgroup is already programmed, you would see the text tag that is associated with it. If the TGID is NOT programmed, then the 'text tag' would simply be the talkgroup ID (no descriptive text). As the unprogrammed talkgroups are not classified with a Service Type, you would hear any that are active.
. I have all the TGIDs programmed within the system in a seperate group via proscan but when i switch to ID ScanI get nothing.

Ogger

Premium Subscriber
Sorry Palm Beach County is encrypted, nothing will pick that up.
RadioReference.com has many sites available to program into my new WS1065, but I didn't know that most of the data is useless to me. Sheesh, I just purchased a scanner and subscriptions. I've researched quite a bit. Shouldn't there be an emergency frequency for civilians? Using my WS1065, I have yet to find a working frequency in Palm Beach County. I have been programming with Win500, but would be happy to input a few accessible frequencies manually. Shouldn't I be able to pick up at least 'something' up through a basic 'search SRCH' on the scanner?

cpg178

RadioReference.com has many sites available to program into my new WS1065, but I didn't know that most of the data is useless to me. Sheesh, I just purchased a scanner and subscriptions. I've researched quite a bit. Shouldn't there be an emergency frequency for civilians? Using my WS1065, I have yet to find a working frequency in Palm Beach County. I have been programming with Win500, but would be happy to input a few accessible frequencies manually. Shouldn't I be able to pick up at least 'something' up through a basic 'search SRCH' on the scanner?
I am not familiar with the Whistler scanners but I can tell you for a fact you will get activity on the PBC channels. As they said above to me have you tried moving the location of your antenna? That made a huge difference for me

Status
Not open for further replies.