Cant pick up anything for Henry CO PD on 164

Status
Not open for further replies.

astrawn

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a Pro 164 and read the "Easier to read manual" on this and I input all of my freqs correctly in my bank and everything is set to ED, I put them in the LCN correct order and when I hit scan, nothing. I know there is something stupid I'm not doing. Any help?

CapStar362

henry Co PD is Encrypted.... you wont hear anything....if thats the only reason you purchased the 164....take it back

astrawn

Premium Subscriber
I thought I might not have understood talkgroups and that might be my problem. But since I now find out its encrypted that might be my problem. I didnt say anything about it on the freq database, great. Well I use it at work alot to monitor anything going on in union city, so I will load those freqs in and see what I can get. Thanks for the help, I will let you know if union city works for me. Why is Henry encrypted?

astrawn

Premium Subscriber
I noticed Fulton Co is all digital as well as Fairburn, is Union City digital as well? It lists 2 freqs in the database but it looks like almost everything else is digital, is this correct? If so what is the best bang for the buck on digital scanners?

N8IAA

I thought I might not have understood talkgroups and that might be my problem. But since I now find out its encrypted that might be my problem. I didnt say anything about it on the freq database, great. Well I use it at work alot to monitor anything going on in union city, so I will load those freqs in and see what I can get. Thanks for the help, I will let you know if union city works for me. Why is Henry encrypted?

Since you are new here on RR, there are different types of trunked systems: Analog= Fulton County's system, Digital P-25= Atlanta, DeKalb, Forsyth, Gwinnett, and Hall. EDACS ProVoice= Henry county PD. That is why there are no TGID's for the county PD. Fire dispatch is analog, the firegrounds are "D"igital= encrypted on that type of system. Hall and Gwinnett have encrypted all PD/SO/city PD's. That is why you won't see them listed, or they have an 'E' in the column.
HTH,
Larry

N8IAA

I noticed Fulton Co is all digital as well as Fairburn, is Union City digital as well? It lists 2 freqs in the database but it looks like almost everything else is digital, is this correct? If so what is the best bang for the buck on digital scanners?

As I have posted above, Fulton County's trunk system is analog. Fairburn is part of the 'analog' system. Union City is not a part of Fulton county, or Atlanta systems. They are conventional frequencies, not trunked.
If you are looking in the Metro area, Radio Shack has sales on the GRE, Radio Shack branded scanners the Pro-106 handheld, and the Pro-197 base/mobile for around $300. Ham Radio Outlet in Doraville sells the Gre PSR-500, PSR-600, which are the same as the RS scanners with some cosmetic differences. The difference is that the RS scanners do not come with the AC adapter and USB programming cable like the GRE radios.
HRO also sells the Uniden BCD396XT handheld and the BCCD996XT base mobile scanners. They come with AC adapters, and a serial programming cable.
All the above scanners can be programmed by hand, but, you will lose a lot of hair trying to get everything setup:) The RS/GRE scanners have trial software for thirty days. These are Win500, PSREdit, and Arc500. These all work with the RS/GRE brand scanners. There is FreeScan www.sixspotsoftware.com that will program the Unidens.
There are also two completely different digital scanners that can hold the complete Radio Reference database on SD cards. They are the GRE PSR-800 and the Uniden HP-1 Home Patrol. They best way to choose is to go the Radio Reference Wiki and read up on the different features for all the scanners I mentioned. There are plenty of us in the Metro area to help when you make up your mind. Please don't ask which we prefer. Most have combos of all mentioned above.
HTH,
Larry

astrawn

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for everyone's help.I got the programming cable and a premium membership and it was way easier than before. I am really enjoying my scanner now!

Status
Not open for further replies.