• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 Can't read from device. Bricked?

brenhein

Feed Provider
I bought an XTS 5000 (II, 800 MHz) second-hand. It was listed as "turned on - no further testing done". Its firmware is reported as R20 in service mode. This is the only radio I have, and I'm new to programming these, but I have a background in software engineering.

I'm trying to read from the device but I get the error:

Connection Error
Error Context: 24, Status: ecec00aa
The last little bit there is important. Seems other people get this error code, but I've found no resolution.

To connect, I'm using the aftermarket Maxton RPC-M5K. Other people report success with this cable so I'd be surprised if this was the issue.
I am using a Waveshare USB to RS232 device which uses the FTDI chipset. Again, people report success using this chipset, but it's possible this is the issue.

To try to troubleshoot the problem, I used a serial port monitoring software to look at the communications between CPS and the device. The communication looks like this:

Code:
T&V

CARRIER:9600

PROTOCOL:ALT

COMPRESSION:NONE

FLOW:K3

WV304:192.168.128.1

RADIO:XTS 5000

MODEL:H18UCF9PW6AN

SERIAL:[redacted]

PORT:SIDE CONNECTOR AS RS232

SECURE:R000000

CPS:HARDWARE FLOW CONTROL

OK
AT#DATLCL=1

OK
AT+IPR=115200

OK
CLIENTCLIENTCLIENTCLIENTCLIENT
The device does not reply to CLIENTCLIENTCLIENTCLIENTCLIENT. CPS errors at that point. So given that it's able to at least establish some sort of communications with the device, I am ruling out the programming cable, and possibly the RS232 adapter (but it's possible, I suppose).

I have no other radios to test. This was my first ever radio.

I do think the device is bricked, which is very unfortunate. The seller is not accepting returns. This is sad :(

Any help would be appreciated.

MTS2000des

XTL's USB controllers can become comatose. You should try to locate a J2 programming cable and see if the radio "wakes up". Take a look at this thread.
If you hear a "device connect" sound when you connect the radio to your USB, and an "XTL5000" device show up in device manager, you're in business. If not, than something deeper wrong is in the radio.

brenhein

Feed Provider
XTL's USB controllers can become comatose. You should try to locate a J2 programming cable and see if the radio "wakes up". Take a look at this thread.
If you hear a "device connect" sound when you connect the radio to your USB, and an "XTL5000" device show up in device manager, you're in business. If not, than something deeper wrong is in the radio.
Thanks for the tip but I have a portable ;)

jim202

You probably need to install the programming cable drivers first. Leave the USB cable connected to your computer and the radio turned on. After installing the driver, re boot your computer.

Also you will need the same version level or higher of the version of the software programming version that was last used on the radio to be able to at least read it. A lower programming version will come up with an error message.

chrismol1

Premium Subscriber
Pretty sure you'd get errors if it was bricked or old firmware, were at zero right now since nothing comes across right now it seems it wont talk to the PC regardless. I use an IOGEAR GUC232 for usb to serial connections with motorola radios with no problems

Port settings as follows. 9600, 8 bits, paraity none, stop bits 1, flow control none. UART FIFO buffers are on and at highest for faster performance.
Load and be sure latest USB-Serial driver is loaded. Im going to guess the USB/serial is the issue

kruser

Premium Subscriber
It looks like it is talking somewhat to the PC.
I see the radio Model and a redacted Serial Number so this proves the USB adapter is good.
It looks like serial comms fail after what appears to be a possible change in serial port baud rate in the last line before failure in the OPs terminal capture.

brenhein

Feed Provider
It looks like it is talking somewhat to the PC.
I see the radio Model and a redacted Serial Number so this proves the USB adapter is good.
It looks like serial comms fail after what appears to be a possible change in serial port baud rate in the last line before failure in the OPs terminal capture.
I agree. The issue seems to be when CPS requests a baud transition to 115200, since the radio does not reply at that point. Or, at least, looking at the logs, it attempts to reply, but replies with zero bytes.

So somehow I think the radio never transitions to the new baudrate requested by CPS (bricked). It's also possible the USB adapter simply doesn't like being changed to 115200.

N1SQB

XTS radios can be very tricky through USB ports. I use an older Panasonic Toughbook with a serial port, running Windows XP Pro 64 bit. Really cheap to buy and if you use the right serial cable, you will not experience the common USB problems that most people encounter. I program my XTS2500 and XTS5000 ( same program cable ) without a single communication issue. Just a suggestion.

Manny

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
We use factory USB cables here as the serial cables did not work reliably with a USB converter. We were mandated to migrate to Win10 and our computers no longer have serial ports. The factory USB cable works flawlessly.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
That would be what we preferred, but our hands are tied, software and hardware wise. USMC dictates what we use, so we have to work with what they give us. Nothing else is authorized. It was a nightmare getting Astro25 CPS through certification (again), because Motorola no longer updates it.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I've used the IOGear USB adapter with great luck on XTS and XTL. That is on the desktop in the office. In the shop or in the field its still a CF30 with a serial port