Can't receive GCRCN

Aarons1

Last night I was able to listen to Cleveland’s GREATER RADIO COMMUNICATION NETWORK. It just started but for some reason this morning it stopped. I live in TRUMBULL COUNTY and usually can’t monitor that site. Can someone explain what might have happened. It done that before too. Do someone else have to be streaming it for me to receive that site

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
This discussion has been moved from the MARCS thread. GCRCN is not part of MARCS.

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
Last night I was able to listen to Cleveland’s GREATER RADIO COMMUNICATION NETWORK. It just started but for some reason this morning it stopped. I live in TRUMBULL COUNTY and usually can’t monitor that site. Can someone explain what might have happened. It done that before too. Do someone else have to be streaming it for me to receive that site
Tropospheric ducting, maybe. In other words, a band opening.

Swipesy

This topic has been discussed several times. GCRCN signal rarely can be heard East of SR 45 and South of Rt 322. Their closest tower signal does not go further other than W8KIC comment of Tropspheric.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

As the others have noted, it's not normally receivable from your location.

To put it simply, the City of Cleveland designed their system to cover only the territory necessary, plus a little bit (basically, within the boundaries of Cuyahoga County). This is normal and proper system engineering. The only reason you were able to receive it was pure luck; atmospheric conditions allowed the signal to travel in your direction for awhile, and then it was gone. It has nothing to do with streaming or anything else.

If you really want to monitor Cleveland, look for an actual stream on Broadcastify.

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
I have seen their Control Channel start rolling between all the channels. In Unitrunker the Control Channel shows red and I watched various frequencies become a control channel. After a few minutes it went back to 856.1375.

Try again. I live 30 miles from downtown and get a decent signal.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I have seen their Control Channel start rolling between all the channels. In Unitrunker the Control Channel shows red and I watched various frequencies become a control channel. After a few minutes it went back to 856.1375.

Try again. I live 30 miles from downtown and get a decent signal.

The OP lives in Trumbull County, which is WAY outside the normal reception range for GCRCN. Without a fairly impressive antenna, the chances of reliable reception in that area are pretty slim.

Especially given that he said it started then stopped and that he usually can't hear that system, it's pretty clear that it was just a happenstance of propagation.