Can't Receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

FederalQ

Hey there everyone! I just purchased a Yaesu VX-170 VHF radio. This is my second radio along with my Pro-97. I could not hear a city that I wanted to listen to (40 or so miles away), so I purchased the Yaesu VX-170. I also purchased it so I can use it as a HAM radio once I get my license...

I still cannot receive the city I want to listen to, is there anything I can do to be able to improve my chances of listening to it? I would hate to have to drive closer to the city just so I could listen...any suggestions?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
"High enough" could well be higher than is practical to build. There's a lot of factors involved in determining reception range, not the least of which is terrain. Keep in mind, many systems are designed to specifically NOT radiate much outside the political boundaries, and in those cases, there's nothing you can do short of moving.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
ridgescan said:
Not even a directional antenna seeing that he's focused on one particular town?

If the system is specifically designed to NOT radiate in that direction, then there's a good possibility it won't be heard. Now, bear in mind that we have no clue who/what he's trying to listen to, I'm simply stating that in some cases, trying to listen from that far outside it's coverage area can be close to impossible, no matter what you do. Especially at 800 MHz, and doubly so if it's simulcast.

I've done system design for many years. If I have a requirement that a site or system not be heard 40 miles away in a certain direction, it WON'T be heard 40 miles away in that direction. Nowadays, radiation patterns need to be tightly controlled to allow for frequency re-use, and it's extremely critical in simulcast systems.

If you're not hearing even a whisper of the system you want to hear with an outside antenna, a directional antenna is not likely to perform a miracle.

Cost vs. performance. Most radio systems are designed for 90/90; 90% coverage 90% of the time, if you try to approach 100/100 you will run out of money very quickly. With the public safety bands becoming more crowded interference becomes a real issue, that is one reason most systems are designed to cover a specific area.

N1BHH

FederalQ said:
Hey there everyone! I just purchased a Yaesu VX-170 VHF radio. This is my second radio along with my Pro-97. I could not hear a city that I wanted to listen to (40 or so miles away), so I purchased the Yaesu VX-170. I also purchased it so I can use it as a HAM radio once I get my license...

I still cannot receive the city I want to listen to, is there anything I can do to be able to improve my chances of listening to it? I would hate to have to drive closer to the city just so I could listen...any suggestions?

Where are you? Where do you want to hear? Are there any hills or mountains in the way? How much power do they run? What's the frequency? There are many more questions I would like to answer, but this will do for now.

SAR923

First thing is to do is replace the antenna that came with VX-170. It's fine for the ham bands but practiacally deaf outside them. I have a VX-2R and could not even pick up local NOAA boradcasts with the original antenna. Replaced it with a Diamond RH77CA and I can easily hear Mobile weather, about 120 miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.