Can't Scan Surrounding Counties - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chutdoggin

OK - So i posted a thread last night and unfortunately an RS Mag Mount antenna wouldn't work. I did however try a RS window mount. It didn't improve anything!! I REALLY want to scan Travis and Bexar Counties but I can't get anything outside of Hays. For those of you familiar with the area there are like 9 billion towers out here and I cant figure out why I'm not picking anything up.

I have a BCD996T and scan primarily 900 EDACS systems. I would like to scan Travis Counties Project 25 System which is motorala, as well as Randolph AFB and Lackland AFB, which is Motorola II.

I need a REALLY kickass indoor antenna (or advice on what I am doing wrong) since I live on the 2nd floor of a 3 story building facing south. The current RS Window Mount is on the south side of the building and runs parallel to the pane of glasss.

Somebody PLEASE give me some advice to fix this!

John_M

A dedicated mobil 800 or 900mhz antenna with/without an amplifier may solve your reception problems. It should certainly increase your reception over the RS window mount.

dangitdoug

Secondary idea for the mag-mount. Do you have room to place a metal cookie tray underneath the antenna? I have not tried this myself, but I have seen it suggested here before.

You can also try a wire lead antenna and suction cup mount to the window itself. If your window frame is metal, you could try taping the end of a wire lead antenna to the window frame. I used this method with a fair amount of success for a GMRS handheld.

Good luck again.

Doug K

mam1081

Feed Provider
Just so you know, I think you will have a really hard time hearing Randolph and other UHF military smartzone systems from Hays county. While mobile, I don't usually get them until in Bexar County.

Travis county's P25 system could be possible. While mobile, I can usually pick them up on the north side of San Marcos (but have a hard time decoding voice & dat).

As for suggestions - can you get the antenna outside? Is it possible to get it higher? In the end, I think height will help you the most. You can make due with a more expensive antenna that might not require you get it as high up. I have heard some people using pre-amps, but I'm not sure how well that would work on any P25.

trunker0205

That Mag mount needs a good ground plane to do any good..
this may sound simplistic try a 800-900 Mhz cell phone antenna if you cant put one outside.

red8

You may be able to monitor Travis county however Bexar is Pro-Voice
and there is no scanner made that can receive the signal . That type
of system nor the new Open Sky technology is able to monitor those
systems. Once you get the antenna with the proper ground plane
you should be able to monitor Travis county.

Chutdoggin

Thanks for the advice - I'll start working on Travis County for now trying a few of the suggestions. For Dangitdoug here - I do believe that I get much better reception with the wire lead and suction cup than with the dang rs window mount. I'll see what I can do with what I have got and what the Radio Shack in town has. Thanks!

John_M

You should pick up a RS 800mhz handheld antenna. It is much better over stock antenna and you should get better reception using it with your suction cup mount.

dangitdoug

Chutdoggin said:
Thanks for the advice - I'll start working on Travis County for now trying a few of the suggestions. For Dangitdoug here - I do believe that I get much better reception with the wire lead and suction cup than with the dang rs window mount. I'll see what I can do with what I have got and what the Radio Shack in town has. Thanks!

Hey Chut

Glad it worked out. Sometimes you just have to keep experimenting with different ideas before something works. I can't tell you how many antenna set-ups I've used over the years. Half the fun is playing with the equipment. My biggest issue is my wife's hatred of my antennas. "WHAT THE HE** IS IN THE WINDOW NOW?"

Doug K

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
As an earlier poster mentioned, without a flat metal surface under the mag mount, whether it be the car or a cookie tray (larger is better) you won't hear much.

Status
Not open for further replies.