AR-DV10 Can't set IF=100khz outside 87-108Mhz ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miciobigio

Just received my new DV10.
Please , tell me i'm wrong.
I can not set WFM ( FM with IF=100kz ) outside 87-108Mhz.
I need WFM in the 800Mz band !
All my other scanners can do it.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The 100KHz bandwidth is only required for FM broadcast reception. Nothing on 800MHz uses that bandwidth. All services were mandated to move to narrowband several years ago above 150MHz. Exceptions are ham radio. Stations in the 30-50Mhz band did not have to go narrowband. The radio can be set to a number of bandwidths to accommodate these other services. Aside from broadcast 100Khz bandwidth has never been used for two-way radio - ever.

wtp

the meaning of wideband has changed.
it is used now for the old FM.
so people say wide instead of FM because of adding narrow FM (NFM or FMN)

Miciobigio

Thanks for all the reply.
Let me explain , i receive 3 or 4 FM voice signals in my town that are not two-way radio comm , they are just some sort of radio-mic or other things , some time they trasmit tv-audio some time they trasmit voice of persons that are talking each other.
I receive those signals in 860-870Mhz in WFM using Icom-R30 , Alinco DJ-X11 , Uniden 3600XLT and other older scanner that i have.

The only one that do not receive those trasmissions is the DV10 and this because is impossile to select IF = 100Kz using FM outside FM-broadcast band. Am i correct ?

I read the DV-10 spec and this limitation i could not find.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like you are listening to some sort of wireless microphone or intercom system. Wireless mics use dedicated receivers which are not the same as scanners. None that I have seen use 100KHz deviation even if they are stereo. Most newer systems are digital now. I suspect that you may need to set the step setting on your receiver. You may not be in the center of the signal channel you want to receive. The AOR receiver has many more deviation and step settings than your other receivers and you may need to experiment. WFM on the older receivers you mention will not be 100KHz. 25KHz or 12.5 are most likely for deviation. Step settings are not the same as deviation.

grosminet

It is true we can't set 100 k on ARDV10 outside 87 MHz -108 MHz (max is 30 k) . If you ask AOR for this , ask also for a non beta firmware one year old now ..... I love AOR

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I have wireless speakers and headphones that operate on a few different frequencies that allow WFM and no frequency hopping in the 902 to 928 MHz ISM band. Most devices that use the 902 - 928 ISM band today require they use FHSS and are not anything near 100 kHz bandwidth!
But, there are a handful of frequencies in that ISM band that do allow things like wireless speakers and headphones to operate on a fixed single frequency and with a wide bandwidth to support wideband audio needed for full range stereo audio. These type devices do have restrictions such as turning off their transmitter if they no longer have an input signal to broadcast. I think the FCC allowed 5 or 7 minutes of 'dead air' time before the transmitter had to drop.

Also, The old analog 950 MHz STL links back to TV stations were also wide bandwidth devices when they were still using analog. I'd guess some rural stations probably still operate STL links with analog signals today. I'm sure those use a pretty wide bandwidth to ensure broadcast quality stereo audio for things like concert coverage and what not.

The wireless speakers I have do use a bandwidth of 100 kHz. You can easily see it on a spectrum analyzer. It's +/- 50 kHz each side of frequency center.

I can't think of anything that actually used 2-way comms using that wide of a bandwidth. Maybe some of the STL links did but it seemed like most of the chatter back to the remote unit used a different form of comms. Possibly used 2-way in other countries.

I'm not sure they still sell the old type wireless headphones and speakers like I have but I love the things as the audio quality is superb.
With bluetooth being the norm today, I suspect the old wireless speakers and headphones that I love are probably a thing of the past.
They also had infrared wireless headphones but those things were horrible.

I also had some pro quality wireless mics that had a bandwidth more around 50 kHz. Maybe because a wireless mic was not a stereo device. So if you had two wireless mics going in order to get sound from both sides of a stage, you were using 100 kHz of bandwidth but across two 50 kHz wide frequencies. I've seen the sound techs mix those together for stereo recording.

wtp

wait...
100khz wide or
100khz step ???
i went looking and found these

Available Bandwidths: FM 6/15/30/100 kHz
Note that there are 3 pages of frequency step values from 10Hz up to 500kHz

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
wait...
100khz wide or
100khz step ???
i went looking and found these

Available Bandwidths: FM 6/15/30/100 kHz
Note that there are 3 pages of frequency step values from 10Hz up to 500kHz
I took the OPs post as width even though they kept saying IF for some reason.
Yes, the radio should handle 100 kHz width unless it really is setup to only demodulate FM Broadcast radio in the USA bandplan like the OP seems to be implying. I've seen it on other radios but usually cheap ones that just threw the FM Broadcast band in for kicks and not in quality receivers.

The old Icom R7000 and R9000 can both do 100 kHz bandwidth across their entire tuning range. The R9000 also offered a 100 kHz tuning step across its entire range as well. I think the R7000 had a max step size of 25 kHz.

I think there's some confusion with the OPs post.

wtp

a little bit of knowledge can do harm.
we usually assume that someone 'knows' what they are talking about.
that might actually cut both ways...oh well.

Miciobigio

The problem is that DV10 can't handle 100Khz width ( i call that WFM modulation ) outside FM broadcast !

I've used the smaller steep possible to find the center freq. of the signal but the audio i get is the same audio i get when i try to listen a FM broadcast station using NFM .

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
The 100KHz bandwidth is only required for FM broadcast reception. ...

Not true/ some of us listen to transmissions in the UHF aero band that are around 60 kHz bandwidth. (Note it is correctly "kHz" not "KHz" nor "Khz" nor "khz" which all apeared in the thread.)

Miciobigio

Just an update : using the web based "ARDV10 Data Editor" it is possible to set every freq. to have IF=100kHz ..... but do not work very well .....

Attachments

• dv10.jpg
    dv10.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 24

BroadCC

Hi,Is there any way to set IFBW to 100KHz? I would like to receive NOAA LRPT signal that bandwidth is 38KHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.