Yaesu: Can't Switch "Main" Sides on Yaesu 8900R

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTCSZ

Hi: just purchased a brand new Yaesu 8900R Transceiver...Got it programmed using the RT Systems software...I cannot switch the "Left/Right" sides of the radio in order to place the "Main" indicator on the Left side! I only have frequencies programmed into the Left side, and the memories and freqs etc are all correct, but I can't get over there! Any advice appreciated!

Steve KA1OWC

wrath

You use the two upper knob's on the face to switch the main band between left and right , if you reference the manual I believe they refer to these as #1 & #8 .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

LTCSZ

No Joy

Tried that first...The right channel is indicating "Main" but no matter what I do I cannot change it...The right channel is totally unresponsive...Can't change any settings, freqs, etc...Still Stuck! Thanks,

Steve KA1OWC

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Assuming you have RTFM, make sure the LOCK is not on. Even though you have programmed in on the left, the right should have the same frequencies. So the first thing is ensure that the LOCK has not been turned on.

LTCSZ

I can get to the "Lock" on the menu but I still cannot do anything with the right side buttons...Cannot access the Lock sub-menu to see if it is on or off...Help! Thanks,

Steve

RBMTS

Perform a master reset to the radio. Once the radio is back to its original box state, see if you can switch the main band to the left and right side BEFORE you make any changes to the radio. If you can then I would suspect it is something in your programming file.

Last edited:

LTCSZ

No luck...Took the radio over to a friend, Extra Class, lots of experience...He tested it out and decided that there is something definitely wrong with the unit...Already packed up and ready for UPS! Thanks for your consideration...Don't know what I am going to order next to replace it...

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
While the Yaesu 8900R Transceiver is without question a very nice radio, Yaesu (and a few others) lost my business when they began selling damn near everything you actually need to install it separately. That's just plain silly IMHO.

wrath

Well this is just my opinion but the the Kenwood 710g is awesome , big bright beautifull display remote head is standard as is the desk or dash mounting bracket, it has a very nice ability to display both name and frequency at the same time , has extended recieve and you can play on APRS, I have an 8900 also but the Kenwood is much newer technology , easy programming, complete menu system without a bunch of abbreviations, it's a very nice radio , the 8900 also is known to blow it's pa chip frequently when you use anything but 2/70 cm I have friends with numerous busted ones in there collection waiting to be fixed ,mine was purchased when the rig premiered and I have never used it on any of the other bands,honestly the Kenwood ease of use has spoiled me so much so that I have one on my bedside table and another mounted on my wheelchair. I am sorry that you got a bad one , my first radio was broken out of the box and needed repair 4 times in the first 2 months I owned it , so the place I bought it gave me a real sweet deal on the FT 530 Yaesu HT which I still own and use to this day 26 years later, whatever you purchase I hope you enjoy it and it serves you well , let us know how you make out!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.