Can't turn groups back on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddbert

This is on a BCD396XT.

I accidentally turned off all the groups in a system (there were only two). Now I cannot turn them on at all-- when I have that system (only that system) on, the scanner says 'nothing to scan'. Hitting function and the group number does not work-- it simply beeps. Has anyone run across this? How did you resolve it.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
F+scroll to the system, then, with F still activated press the digit for the group you want to turn on.

TBennettcc

• 4. All Groups are disabled - This is different than above and seems to cause the most problems with people understanding what has happened. The best way to understand this is a hypothetical situation. Say you are scanning a single conventional system programmed to one SQK (System Quick Key), let's use SQK #3 for example. All other SQK's are disabled and this system has 3 groups of frequencies on GQK's 1, 2, & 3. If you disable all three GQK's the radio will then properly state it has "Nothing To Scan" because you have turned everything off. The problem that seems to confound everyone at this point is that in addition to the "Nothing To Scan" begin displayed, the GQK disabled icons " * " are no longer displayed either. In other words although the System shows to be active (the #3 is showing along with "S0:"), there are no groups displayed. The solution is quite easy, press and hold the <Function> key, turn the scroll knob and find the system covered by SQK #3, the GQK icons will be present and while still holding the <Function> key press 1, 2, or 3 and the scanner will be able to scan again.
  • You can avoid this "disappearing icons" situation in two ways:
    • A. Don't ever disable all GQK's in a conventional system.
    • B. Program at least one frequency in the "default" group (one not assigned a GQK #) and do not lock it out. It can be a frequency you want to monitor for this system or it can be a frequency that is unlikely to have anything on it (like 1300 MHz).
    • Note: This problem does not happen on Trunking systems because the scanner will always scan the frequencies programmed even if you disable (or indeed lock out) all of the Talk Groups.

Can I ask why "the GQK disabled icons " * " are no longer displayed"?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If they are not appearing on your 396, then you don't have any GQKs assigned to that system. We've made no change to how they are displayed.

TBennettcc

But I DO have GQK's assigned. The problem lies in the text I previously quoted from the link W5JSS posted. I quote again:

If you disable all three GQK's the radio will then properly state it has "Nothing To Scan" because you have turned everything off. The problem that seems to confound everyone at this point is that in addition to the "Nothing To Scan" begin displayed, the GQK disabled icons " * " are no longer displayed either. In other words, although the System shows to be active (the #3 is showing along with "S0:"), there are no groups displayed.

Which means that the groups still exist, and the group quick keys are still programmed, they just simply do not show up, neither as asterisks, nor as numbers; just hash marks / dashes.

This, at least it seems to me, was a programming decision. I was just curious as to why it was done.

ErikB

Feed Provider
I was having the same problem, and yes, this enabled me to turn the group back on, but somehow in the process now I am also am scanning "custom 4" and have no idea how I turned it on or how to turn it off. I am sure there is an easy way to do this, but I cannot ind this info anywhere. Thanks for any help.

rvictor

I was having the same problem, and yes, this enabled me to turn the group back on, but somehow in the process now I am also am scanning "custom 4" and have no idea how I turned it on or how to turn it off. I am sure there is an easy way to do this, but I cannot ind this info anywhere. Thanks for any help.
To lockout a custom search, press FUNC + L/O while scanning the custom search.

QuickReferenceInput < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Dick

ErikB

Feed Provider

Think I figured it out.

Function->scroll to custom4->L/O custom 4

Status
Not open for further replies.