Can't update firmware on a WS1098

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Yep, definitely. At any rate, the whole approach "it's a problem with your computer, Windows update, blah" is quite annoying to me.

If things were working and then you download new software, 95% likely (off the cuff statistics!) it's a problem or compatibility issue with what you just installed.

If things were working and you have not installed or updated software, yet your operating system has downloaded a bunch of crap, the OS is perhaps to blame.

Still, it would have been interesting to know what happened if the CPU upgrade was done on an older version of EZ Scan. There are people out there who successfully updated their scanners... somehow.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
There are people out there who successfully updated their scanners... somehow.

In case it helps, I had no problem updating everything first try. I have the 1088 handheld version. I use a WinXP laptop that I saved just for this type of thing where Win 7 and 8 and 10 give people fits. It never let me down programming any of my X number ( just in case the wife reads this :)) of scanners and commercial radios. I first updated the EZScan. Then did the updates one at a time in the order Wendy suggested using the EZScan "check for all updates" option. I disconnect and reconnect my USB in between each update. Don't ask me why. Maybe that is the key? But I doubt it.
Bob

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Nobody successfully upgraded a WS1095/98 with version 3.4, released on 15 Dec.

Oh boy. That's a headache.

So nothing to do with software versions or Windows compatibility for once. Let's keep things interesting.

Good luck with all of this. They should make two more scanner versions so there will be more firmware files to deal with!

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Nobody successfully upgraded a WS1095/98 with version 3.4, released on 15 Dec.

Oh thanks for that Don. So it had nothing to do with the OS, but the radio specifically. If only we knew how to "fool" the software so we can dump firmware from a different radio type into where we wish to experiment :wink: (Pro-668 in mind)
But I am sure Whistler is working at a fix as we speak for the 1095/98 users.

Status
Not open for further replies.